Several of my designs

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
LauraBC
Model of CNC Machine: shark

Several of my designs

Post by LauraBC »

My website isn't fully up to standard yet, but I feel my first set of designs are. I thought I'd share two of them with you. I haven't quite figured out how to photograph the finished product so it looks right. The photos all look similar to the sample image in VCarve.
Attachments
This is one of my early designs.
This is one of my early designs.
This is a design to illustrate the ideas in a wonderful motivating poem by Edgar Albert Guest named, "It couldn't be done."
This is a design to illustrate the ideas in a wonderful motivating poem by Edgar Albert Guest named, "It couldn't be done."

John Murphy
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 5010

Re: Several of my designs

Post by John Murphy »

Another friend of Bill's...

LauraBC

Post by LauraBC »

and Jimmy K.

cabnet636
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster 508 ATC

Post by cabnet636 »

oh yea, jimmy k, bill w, know em both well!!
James McGrew
http://www.mcgrewwoodwork.com
CAMaster ATC 508 24/7 http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

ckurak
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: PRT12060

Post by ckurak »

LauraBC wrote:My website isn't fully up to standard yet, but I feel my first set of designs are. I thought I'd share two of them with you. I haven't quite figured out how to photograph the finished product so it looks right. The photos all look similar to the sample image in VCarve.
Laura,

What would happen if you moved your light source for the photo to be from "above" instead of from the left? (It does not appear that you are using a camera mounted flash; and that is a good thing!.)

I believe we naturally receive light (sun, ceiling fixtures, etc.) from above as they shine "down" onto the surfaces and objects we are viewing.

In your photos it appears that you have the light source coming from the left, as evidenced by the darker parts of the V-carved objects are all on the left side.

Also, have you consider using "glazing" to enhance the depth in the V-carved areas? This is a relatively easy method that can have some dramatic effects. A search for glazing on this forum should give you a lot of pointers.

Nice designs!
Charles
http://ckurak.com
ShopBot PRT12060, PartWorks, PartWorks3D

LauraBC

Post by LauraBC »

Thank you, Charles.

I'll admit I know little to nothing about photography. Actually those pictures are the pictures that the VCarve program gives us instead of an actual photo. I'm going to save your suggestions to try after I get the website fixed to my satisfaction.

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

I like your designs, but I find them difficult to read. Perhaps you know this, but on your VCarve 3D preferences, you can change the color of the machined areas to show more contrast.

Regards,
Angie

LauraBC

Post by LauraBC »

You have a good point, Angie. I kept trying to make the picture as close as possible to the actual colors; but the designs are 12 x 11.25; not 4 inches x 3...I worried that changing the color would create a false perception in the potential customer.

What do you think?

ckurak
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ckurak »

LauraBC wrote:I worried that changing the color would create a false perception in the potential customer.

What do you think?
Laura,

Very good point.

"Under-promise. Over-deliver." In other words, be sure that the final project looks better than the rendering. Well, with Vectric software: make it look at least as good. :D (Yup. Those Vectric guys are really good!)

I always include a note with the rendering of any project that "this is an approximation" of the item, and that the "colors and dimensions may vary" or similar comments.
Charles

ckurak
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ckurak »

LauraBC wrote:Thank you, Charles.

I'll admit I know little to nothing about photography. Actually those pictures are the pictures that the VCarve program gives us instead of an actual photo. I'm going to save your suggestions to try after I get the website fixed to my satisfaction.
I should have been more observant when I looked at the two "photos" that you posted. I would have noticed that the grain patterns are identical. :oops:

Like I said before, those Vectric guys are really good. :D

When you get ready to take some photos, here are a few tips that help me.

1) Use a neutral background. For the size plaques you are making, maybe a soft medium grey blanket will work well? The color is neutral. The material will not reflect light back at the camera and wash out the photo.

2) Do NOT use the built-in flash mounted on the camera, unless it points up and away from the object being photographed. Otherwise you WILL get a reflection bouncing back at you. That will be the "bright spot" in the center of your plaque.

3) Use incandescent lighting in the room instead of fluorescent. Well, if you have a very good camera, there might be settings for flourescent lighting. Otherwise, turn the flourescents off.

4) I prefer to take my shots with no direct sunlight. At night can be good too for some shots. I can control the lighting better that way.

5) Use a reflector light with an incandescent light bulb in ADDITION to the normal room lighting. While taking the photo, hold the reflector light off to one side and shine it on the object. Don't get too close. I like about 5-10 feet; sometimes more for larger projects. Try different angles and positions of the light. I am guessing that you are using a digital camera, so this is not an expensive use of "film". (See picture of reflector light below.) These can be purchased for under $10. Use a regular incandescent bulb in them.

6) If your camera has a timer feature, use it. Besides preventing camera jitter when you push the button, it gives you some time to hold the reflector where you want it. Mine gives me 10 seconds. That is plenty of time.

7) Use a tripod. You should be able to get an inexpensive one at Walmart or someplace similar. This will help steady the camera. This will also allow you to take repeat shots as you vary the lighting and object placement without trying to remember where you stood when you took the last shot. Look on the bottom of your camera. There is probably a threaded bolt-hole where the tripod bolt goes. My tripod has a quick-release adapter so I can take the camera off the tripod in a few seconds. Then, I can put it back on the tripod just as quickly. I normally just leave the adapter on my camera so it is always ready for tripod or non-tripod shots.

8) Learn to use some photo-editing software. My favorite is "Irfanview". ( http://www.irfanview.com/ ) It is free software that can read many, many types of file formats and can perform many types of editing and image manipulation. The three things that I use the most are: a) Cropping the image , b) "Auto Adjust Colors", and c) resizing the image (do this last). And, that is usually the order I use them in also (for technical reasons to keep the best quality). Item b) is not always required and sometimes makes the image look worse, so I do not always use it.

Don't be afraid of the camera. With a little bit of experimentation you will be able to produce some pretty good photos. You already have some great objects to photograph!

Good luck!
Attachments
reflector.jpg
Charles

LauraBC

Post by LauraBC »

Thanks again, Charles!

Right now all I have is the camera on my cell phone. I did use it to take photos in art class to bring home & of arrangements to help me with drawing & painting.

Do you also have recommendations for inexpensive starter cameras?

In regard to editing photos, I have Adobe Creative Suite 2 with both photoshop & illustrator. I use illustrator primarily to create my designs; so I am more experienced with it.

Thanks again,

I am very grateful for your thoughtful advice.

ckurak
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ckurak »

LauraBC wrote: Do you also have recommendations for inexpensive starter cameras?

In regard to editing photos, I have Adobe Creative Suite 2 with both photoshop & illustrator. I use illustrator primarily to create my designs; so I am more experienced with it.
Photoshop should give you everything you need. I have no experience with Photoshop, but have heard many times that it is pretty much the industry standard. All of the basic functions should be there.

Regarding starter cameras, my little camera is a Sony Cybershot "DSC-S700". It has 7.2 megapixels, a built-in LCD monitor, and settings for automatic, outdoor, snow, beach, twilight, and more. It does not have a timer. It connects to my PC with a USB cord that came with the camera. It has a built-in zoom. It has about 2 GB of memory and can hold LOTS of photos. It can take video, but I never use it for that. It easily fits in my shirt pocket. It has a built-in flash (that can be turned off). It works with 2 AA batteries. I use the lithium batteries for longer life.

(I prefer standard batteries to rechargeable ones; especially if the batteries are built into the camera. I would hate to be out somewhere taking photos and have the rechargeable batteries die. With standard batteries, I can simply replace them and keep shooting. The lithium batteries do last a long time. Just don't leave your camera turned ON if you are not going to be shooting for a while. The LCD display does use power.)

If I remember correctly, I bought this a few years ago for about $200-250.

My other camera is a Canon Rebel Xti. That has a lot more bells and whistles.

Both cameras can provide very good photos for website and email usage.

Maybe someone else can chime in with some more recent information on cameras.
Charles