martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Gallery Of Machines

Post by martin54 »

ezurick wrote:
RM-Wood wrote:
CNCEST-1.5kw2.jpg
First project with Diamond Drag Bit I'm amazed at this CNCEST accuracy The Dragons eye pupal is 1mm in diameter.
I used Vectric Vcarve Desktop very nice program easy to learn.
The drag bit was found on ebay very good bit! reasonable price.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6mm-MSS-DRA...72.m2749.l2649
Same machine as what I have. Although a lot of the Chinese machines get a pretty bad rap, the CNCEST seems to be pretty good. Since you have the same machine, do you have power surge/purge issues, especially during storms? I run a ground from both the controller and the carrier of the machine directly to an outside ground. That helped a lot, but still get surges/purges, which could effect my mach3 settings when running a job.
Do you have a dust extraction system hooked up to your machine? If you do then try running an earth wire through it, there have been a number of people who had problems & this sorted them out.
On one of the posts about earthing a CNC properly Adrian posted a link to a PDF, not read it myself but Adrian said it contained some good info.

https://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDoc ... 8%2007.pdf

RM-Wood
Model of CNC Machine: 6040-CNCEST-E1500W

Post by RM-Wood »

No power surge/purge issues so far (fingers crossed!) I plant to add a surge protector before lightning blows my controller up! other than that the PC has a battery backup and surge. There is a ground plug on the controller if it is built correct then that should be grounded, maybe I should ground the CNC frame?
I have a vac system no static issues at all, maybe because the main trunk is 8" metal duct pipe tied to the metal building purlins. My Vac is home built from a 12" Cummins Diesel Engine fan and shroud and a 1 horse 3000 rpm electric motor, sits on top of a box. I've had that for 30 + years, works great very quiet.
ShopVac.jpg

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

martin54 wrote:
ezurick wrote:
RM-Wood wrote:
CNCEST-1.5kw2.jpg
First project with Diamond Drag Bit I'm amazed at this CNCEST accuracy The Dragons eye pupal is 1mm in diameter.
I used Vectric Vcarve Desktop very nice program easy to learn.
The drag bit was found on ebay very good bit! reasonable price.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6mm-MSS-DRA...72.m2749.l2649
Same machine as what I have. Although a lot of the Chinese machines get a pretty bad rap, the CNCEST seems to be pretty good. Since you have the same machine, do you have power surge/purge issues, especially during storms? I run a ground from both the controller and the carrier of the machine directly to an outside ground. That helped a lot, but still get surges/purges, which could effect my mach3 settings when running a job.
Do you have a dust extraction system hooked up to your machine? If you do then try running an earth wire through it, there have been a number of people who had problems & this sorted them out.
On one of the posts about earthing a CNC properly Adrian posted a link to a PDF, not read it myself but Adrian said it contained some good info.

https://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDoc ... 8%2007.pdf
Thanks Martin. I don't have a dust system installed. I manually stand there with the hose and remove the debris. The vacuum system has it's own ground too. My problem isn't static. It is s/purges in the electrical system especially during storms. The battery backup system I have on the machine is suppose to have that protection... but it doesn't work very well with my s/purges. I was hoping to learn of something better to use.

WNC_Ed
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 AXYZ 4010

Post by WNC_Ed »

The battery backup system I have on the machine is suppose to have that protection... but it doesn't work very well with my s/purges.
Are the surges power company related and effect the rest of your home/shop and neighbors as well?
Is the controler & spindle both plugged into the UPS?
Which spindle do you have?
Have you checked wattage/amperage during a cut?
Maker of sawdust

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

WNC_Ed wrote:
The battery backup system I have on the machine is suppose to have that protection... but it doesn't work very well with my s/purges.
Are the surges power company related and effect the rest of your home/shop and neighbors as well?
Is the controler & spindle both plugged into the UPS?
Which spindle do you have?
Have you checked wattage/amperage during a cut?

Well, there was a time a few years back that my house was getting them a lot (several times a day) which sometimes shut off the power for a long period (minutes into hours). We called the electric company and they came out and said the transformer coming to my house is an old one and they replaced it. It basically stopped for a long time which I didn't see any problems EXCEPT during nasty storms. It is now occasional, mainly during storms. And it isn't real bad.. usually you see a little flicker in the lights. But my machine is so sensitive... those little flicker s/purges are enough to mess up my cut. It could turn a X Y Z zero into some huge number in some cases. So now if a storm passes though, I shut down until it is gone.

I have no clue if my power is shared since I am the only one on my transformer that I know of and If there are other homes on this transformer or line, I wouldn't know. I am way out in the country. We had a hurricane come through a few months ago and a tree brought down the line from the transformer. We sat for 3 days without power until the electric company came and repaired it.. we were the only home without power for those 3 days within our mile radius grid. My closest neighbor's home, who is about 1/4 mile away from us has power from a different transformer and line and direction. Very strange.

Both controller and spindle are connected to UPS. In fact, in my Chinese machine, everything is powered in the controller with only one power plug. My spindle is the Chinese 1.5kw. Again, I don't think the machine is the problem. It's the sensitive s/purges from the power company line. I would assume for most households, it might be normal. But for my machine it is too sensitive. Again, I was hoping to learn of maybe a better s/purge protector setup or system that others might have used and remember, it is mainly during storms.

WNC_Ed
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 AXYZ 4010

Post by WNC_Ed »

Some UPS units have adjustable sensitivity.
If yours does then maybe try increasing the sensitivity.
Of course there are UPS units out there with super fast transfer rates (speed that input is switched from the line to the battery) but with everything "speed" related faster is more expensive.
Maker of sawdust

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

Here is an interesting rotary machine. It does continuous rotary carving on prosthetic limb plugs to make molds for attachment components.

DSC00679_2.JPG
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

IslaWW wrote:Here is an interesting rotary machine. It does continuous rotary carving on prosthetic limb plugs to make molds for attachment components.

DSC00679_2.JPG
Interesting also that a machine like that would be in what appears to be a home workshop or garage.
Steve

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

The machine lives in a lab in Albany, NY. It was shipped to me for a control retrofit. The picture was taken in my shop just before it was shipped back to them.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

red6rick
Model of CNC Machine: home-made

Post by red6rick »

My CNC Router Parts 4x4 -- nema 23 motors; 2.2KW spindle, UCCNC controller. At the end of making a table of "farkle" trays.
cnc001886.jpg

Bobtail Farm
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade

Post by Bobtail Farm »

red6rick wrote:My CNC Router Parts 4x4 -- nema 23 motors; 2.2KW spindle, UCCNC controller. At the end of making a table of "farkle" trays.
cnc001886.jpg
offtopic. noticed what appears to be a jig or vise to the right of the "farkle" that would clamp cylindar-shaped objects with a nifty handle too - any insight? thanks

(and BTW, what's a "farkle")

Greybeard123
Model of CNC Machine: Microcarver

Post by Greybeard123 »

Hit this in error. Can't find cancel.

dwwright
Model of CNC Machine: JGRO

Post by dwwright »

I built this one over this past winter.
2020-05-02-22.56.46sm.jpg
Driving it using a smoothstepper board, 2.2kw liquid cooled spindle. I'm using a cpu radiator and pump in a closed loop system that rides on the back of the carriage. Working area is about 49" x 49" x 11" with the rotary on the left side of the raised table. I just used a mini wood lathe head and tail stock and square tubing for the rotary ways.
2020-06-14 21.41.25.jpg
2020-06-14 17.59.20.jpg
The controls are in an 18u server cabinet with the fans reversed and pulling through a hepa filter to pressurize the cabinet and keep dust out.
2020-03-07 18.53.43.jpg
I started with a 1/2" sheet of plywood and laminated a piece of aluminum to it for a ground plane.Then installed all the components and wired. pretty happy with how it turned out. My first time using DIN components. I have 30 amps coming in to feed everything and sub-breakers for the 110v vs 220v components along with terminal rails to break the power out to all of them.
2020-03-07 17.20.24.jpg
I have a few things I'd change now, but pretty happy with it.

Gallery of the build... https://photos.app.goo.gl/zakYtJpge28F7jQJ9

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

That is nice and clean. Good job.

cusoak
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3D XXL

Post by cusoak »