Rotary CNC Pen Making

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Rotary CNC Pen Making

Post by Fleming »

It’s been a while since I posted but I am finally back in the shop! :D Lately I have been developing my skills in CNC rotary pen making and making folded boxes using 90 deg V bits. Be glad to give more detail as to designing wrap patterns and the procedures I use for making the pens. Apologies for the bad camera work and painting but here is some of my work to date:
Some samples or different woods
Some samples or different woods
I mainly use cherry, walnut, white oak, and maple. and occasionally I use Bezos wood, redwood, plum, and mahogany. Almost all of it is salvage or recycled wood. I have developed almost 20 patterns that “wrap” without a seam and have more in development. I use a 90 degree V bit for all carving at a depth of .08” on the pens and .12 on the boxes. I have a mini lathe with a duplicator that I use to do the rough shaping with and then mount the turned blanks on the CNC for carving.
Pens and notepad holder
Pens and notepad holder
A solid wood holder
A solid wood holder
Floral Set
Floral Set
Many of the patterns are “florals” derived and modified from the work of William Morris, famous English designer at the beginning of the last century. They require a lot of modification in order to wrap properly but once developed are used for pens, boxes, and handles for carved walking sticks… Many of the carvings are left natural but I paint some. The maple leaf pattern top on the pen above was 3D carved with a tapered ballnose bit while the bottom was V carved. The wood is cherry with the background stained.
Painted and Carved Pens and Box
Painted and Carved Pens and Box
The top of the cherry “dogwood flower” pen above was outlined with a laser, the bottom was carved and then both were painted. The box is cherry.
Double Floral
Double Floral
Americana Celebration
Americana Celebration
I like to experiment with different patterns and colors. Many of the pens are customized with names as gifts for friends and family.
Tall Pencil Box
Tall Pencil Box
Oak Pattern carved on white oak
Oak Pattern carved on white oak
Thank you for looking. Be glad to answer question.

Paul Fleming
Cobblewood Carver

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Rotary CNC Pen Making

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I'm a fan of all things rotary.
On wrapping the designs, have you eliminated the seam, or do you integrate that into the overall design?

Thanks for sharing. It is a good inspiration for all of us.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Post by Fleming »

Yes, I modify the design so there is no seam. Be glad to explain that process as it is quite involved but once understood is very useful.
Cobblewood Carver

Beltramidave
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FLA Saturn 4x4 / 7W & 60W lasers

Post by Beltramidave »

Very nice work!
I'm sure we all would love to hear your process, I know I would!
Dave
https://lakesedgewoodcraft.com/

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Post by Fleming »

OK. I will write up a "lesson" on creating seamless designs and post it in the next few days.
Cobblewood Carver

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

Do you drill the 'through hole' for the inserts before or after they are carved? If before, then they could be mounted with a jig or tapered plug. How do you drill the blanks and keep the holes aligned with the body?

Yes, a tutorial would be of immense value.

thanks...

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Post by Fleming »

I will also do a tutorial on the actual steps I use to create the blanks and how they are mounted on the rotary. That will become "lesson 2".

Thank you for your interest.
Cobblewood Carver

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

That is just soo cool.

Someday - someday, I will try that.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

WOW! COOL Pens and Accessories!!!

Looking forward to your Lesson Data too!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.005

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Post by Fleming »

Thank you for the kind words.

By this weekend I will publish a PDF that details step by step how to create designs that wrap. Then I will develop one that shows the construction of pens step by step using those designs. After that I will document the creation of carved V fold boxes which also design wrap and don't require an indexer to make.

What I really like about these processes is that once they are understood and basic jigs are created, very nice things can be made quickly and inexpensively. I can make a carved pen with less than an hour's labor and less than $5 worth of materials including hardware. Same with the boxes. People in the Pen selling game told me that these sets would sell in the $125 to $300 category. Hopefully some of you can make some side money making these as people seem to really like them (I give them all away as gifts - I am retired and not interested in starting a business :D ).

Paul
Cobblewood Carver

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

Great... :D I'm looking forward to them. I'm interested on seeing your take on the pen drilling, inexpensive hardware, and your V-fold boxes.

Greolt
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: UCCNC Router, Plasma, Laser

Post by Greolt »

Interested to see what pen kit you start with.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Fleming wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 1:05 am
... I am retired and not interested in starting a business :D ).

Paul
I 'm just a retired hobbyist also and not interested in selling anything either. All of my projects are for family and friends and, once in a while. for me too, I've turned quite a few pens and pencils on my ornamental 4th axis and made the corresponding boxes on the table. With and without hinges. I'm always interested in the techniques, jigs and procedures developed by fellow hobbyists and CNC enthusiasts and looking forward to seeing yours. Thank you very much in advance.
Steve

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Post by Fleming »

I have now uploaded the lesson on Creating Wrapped Seamless Designs in a new post.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41774
If you are interested in that topic please respond to that post for questions and suggestions.

Many Thanks,
Paul

Next I will work on the steps I use to actually create writing pens and will post that when ready.
Cobblewood Carver

KevTN
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity Woodworker Elite

Post by KevTN »

Those are so cool! Absolute artistry!