WYSIWYG

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
sobfu
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: China CNCZOne 6040 4 axis

WYSIWYG

Post by sobfu »

I know there is an expensive 3D scanner at work but trying to get your hands on it is another story so I could not wait any longer to try a full 3D model on the 4th axis.
I imported a generic 3D file both STL and OBJ file types, the OBJ file appeared to have a better resolution.

I had bought a cheap pine chair leg from the hardware store for the purpose of doing a test run.
The Vectric software never ceases to amaze me, the preview screen (what you see is what you get) has never disappointed.
3D Carve snapshot.jpg
3D carve.jpg
It was only a small diameter 44mm piece of pine, so I just used a finishing pass with Tapered ball nose bit, and it took about an hour.
I would be interested to hear if anyone has had any good results using their phone as a 3D scanner.

Dave

Jan.vanderlinden
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Xcarve

Re: WYSIWYG

Post by Jan.vanderlinden »

I've never heard of using your phone as a scanner.
How does that work?
“I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making a few more”

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I would be interested to hear if anyone has had any good results using their phone as a 3D scanner.
I tried it a while ago. I downloaded an app to my iPhone. Using the scanning app I walked around the object I was scanning and it provided visual feedback on how complete the scan was.

It was an interesting novelty, but the scans always had holes or incomplete areas. At the time I did not find it useful enough, nor reliable enough for my needs. But the apps may have improved since then.

YMMV
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Post by Tailmaker »

I have tried the iPhone app "Scandy", which uses the face recognition sensor (front, available since iPhone 11) for short distances and the Time of Flight sensor (back, since iPhone 12 or 13) for larger objects. It is much faster and more precise than the photo-stitching based apps. While the face recognition sensor does work well for e.g. face scanning, I have yet to accomplish a full 360 degree scan. But that may be due to the problem that one cannot see the screen feedback while scanning because sensor and screen are on the same side. I believe Scandy also sells a clip-on mirror to solve this problem. The Time-of-Flight sensor can scan e.g. a room for other modeling purposes but is kind of useless for models to be machined.

Below a 3d-scan image of a face as seen in Scandy, the simulation in Aspire and the resulting carved piece:
ScanPic2.JPG
InAspire.JPG
IMG_3437.JPG
FWIW, the material is mountain mahogany and too hard to get the machining ridges sanded away. It might benefit from another finish run in 90-degree direction.
Dovetail and Finger Joint, Puzzle, Maze and Guilloche freeware at fabrikisto.com/tailmaker-software

sobfu
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: China CNCZOne 6040 4 axis

Post by sobfu »

Thanks for the feedback.
I have watched a few videos on youtube and they did recommend getting a phone with facial recognition, but I am not ready to upgrade yet. I will wait until mine breaks.

Your carvings still came out pretty good.

I think our company paid about $40,000 for their scanner so I am not surprised they are restricting the access LOL.