Another Bookpile

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
meflick
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Another Bookpile

Post by meflick »

I wanted to say thank you to Michael Tyler for his Bookpile project from the Dec. 2020 newsletter.
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=36385

I finally got around to trying it, I hadn’t used the CNC for awhile and I had a few hiccups (the spines popped loose and didn’t finish quite right on the machine - it was more user error then the machine) but I decided to go ahead and finish the piece as a “prototype.” Having gotten it completed, not sure if there will be more done or not now. 😉☺️ Mainly do to the “finishing” time with the painting, the taping off, etc. 🤫

I used the same colors Michael did, just in a slightly different order as I decided that was one of the things that appealed to me. My daughter pointed out that they are the colors of the “school houses” at Hogwarts. The funny thing was, I didn’t on this one, but I had considered making them some “magical” titles until I decided to make one first as designed to see how it all worked. I flocked the inside of the box. My husband helped me with the hinges and they really don’t show hardly. I did get some barrel hinges to use if I try another one.
A3BF493D-48BA-4E67-96F2-E4A03A1C4E97.jpeg
F84B76F1-C6C6-4871-9FF8-287EA29B0137.jpeg
EE5F5787-DEC5-4451-87B5-ECFC92136F6B.jpeg
Not too bad for a novice who hasn’t done too much with the CNC 😉

TomWS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: OB Lead 1010, Mach3; OB C-Beam 1060 grbl

Re: Another Bookpile

Post by TomWS »

Very nice! Good start! That's a good design to experiment with as old books are supposed to look... um, old :)

You said this was a prototype. Have you reconsidered that to use yourself or give as a gift?

I tend to collect my prototypes on a shelf (I call it my rogue's gallery) and occasionally have a visitor who finds one interesting, simply gladly give them away. Everyone is happy.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Melanie,

I’m so glad to see you got around to doing the Bookpile Project (it’s one of my personal favorites)!

You did an incredible job! Thank you so much for posting the pics - warms my heart to know you are enjoying your CNC again!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

That's one of my favorites of Michael's as well Melanie, but I've never carved it like you did! :)
I agree with Tom that someone will be THRILLED if you ever decide to gift it!
Think it's a Really Nice box myself:)
We're always our own worse critics :)

Well done,
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

meflick
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Post by meflick »

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement. I wanted to post mainly to show Michael because I appreciate all his time and effort he puts into the files he creates and then are provided to us to try for free. I think it’s important that he sees his files are in fact being used even a couple years later. He has crafted many cool projects, so many more I hope to eventually give a go and hope he continues to crank out many more for us. 🙂

I’ve been meaning to try these since I first saw them as I loved them. I am an avid reader and I love antiques, so I love old books. I also love cool boxes so a win/win here. Before I had done the painting, my daughter (26) had even commented that it was “cool”. I don’t recall her ever saying too many of my projects were “cool”. 😏🤔

My original plan was to make this one, probably keep it and once I saw how it all “worked” make some more for gifts. Time will tell if that happens. 😉☺️ Why I kept going with this one, I also decided “old books” had dings and damage so it added to the authenticity of the piece. ☺️

I do different types of woodworking, scrolling and doing Intarsia pieces, bandsaw boxes, been learning to hand carve recently and just took a turning class but it was projects like this that I wanted the CNC for. I like to say I’m a Jack of all trades and master of none. 😏☺️

TomWS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: OB Lead 1010, Mach3; OB C-Beam 1060 grbl

Post by TomWS »

Very nice note! Your comment about your daughter's response made me chuckle AND feel the warmth! I have two grown daughters and I still thrive on the occasional compliment!

jael
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom 8

Post by jael »

I have made a few of these book boxes, I ask who I am making it for, what books they like. Then copy the cover and carve the top book. On the bindings I put other book titles, the author’s name and the publisher’s name on them. Things like Harry Potter, Donald Trump etc.