Wolf's head in mahogany

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
wilkigr
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Sienci Long Mill

Wolf's head in mahogany

Post by wilkigr »

I bought this as an stl file online. It's my first attempt at a sliced project in VCarvePro.

I watched Todd's videos on the sliced gorilla and the sliced apple until I thought I had it figured out.

Material is mahogany. Final size is 5" in X, 6" in Y and 5" Z. It's made of up 5 x 1" slices, put together with dowels and glue. I used a 1/8" down cut bit for roughing and a 1/4" tapered ball nose, with a 1/32" tip for finishing. Total time was just under 2 hours, running quite conservatively.

Finish is rattle can lacquer.

All criticisms are welcome. :grinning:
wolf_1.jpg
wolf_2.jpg

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: i2r B22

Re: Wolf's head in mahogany

Post by AboveCreations »

It looks pretty good. I am not sure what is going on with the mouth though. Perhaps it is my laptop video. I can't seem to zoom in to see details on this forum. I've done a similar sliced project about a year or so ago. And it was a bear on a wall clock. It was only 3 layers, but I can't remember the thickness of each. It also turn out pretty good.

But it leads to my question... you said you put it together with dowel and glue. Can you elaborate on that please? I mean, did you just randomly drill 1/4" holes on one side and found a way to match the other side hole up for the dowel? Just curious how you got them slices lined up for the dowels.

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

AboveCreations wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:02 am
... I am not sure what is going on with the mouth though....
I saw the same thing, at first. Look at the mouth as being closed. The open area below the mouth is chin and neck.

The lacquer really makes it glossy; perhaps too glossy?

That's a nice project and not as simple as your text makes it sound.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

wilkigr
Vectric Craftsman

Post by wilkigr »

Tks to both of your for the comments.

First, you're both right. The mouth is a bit weird from any angle but straight on. I think it's because the wolf's mouth is open, but there are not enough upper teeth. I'm not blaming the model. It's likely something that I did wrong.

Second, it is too glossy. The rattle can lacquer that is used was supposed to be satin. What can I say? I really don't tend to glossy finishes.

Finally, on the dowel placement. I just followed Todd's idea, put forward in his video on the gorilla head. I placed two dowels on the largest slice, then copied and pasted them onto the next slice, etc. That way, they are in the same coordinates in each slice and the dowel can run all the way through to all but the mouth slice. I could have done the mouth double-sided and drilled the holes part way through from the back. I didn't bother and just took care to place the mouth slice as best as I could.

Thanks again.

Grant

TomWS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: OB Lead 1010, Mach3; OB C-Beam 1060 grbl

Post by TomWS »

Nice job! Hard to see the layers (which is good)! Yet another thing to try... sigh.

I think on the wolf's mouth, to me it looks like he's snarling. Jaw and mouth open slightly, upper lip curled up to under his nose.
Whatever the pose, it looks good. I agree about the satin finish. Odd that it would look as glossy as it does, maybe mislabeled can?

wilkigr
Vectric Craftsman

Post by wilkigr »

I've played with the file for too many hours and I know what is wrong with my carve. I think it's fair to say that I can't fix it with a 3 axis machine. I changed the model so that it was in profile on the material. My idea was to slice it that way. That gave me all the fangs that are missing from my carve. However, it also lost me the top of his head since that would have needed an undercut to achieve. (I'[m very open to advice telling me that I'm wrong about that.)

I am going to work on the mouth with my Foredom to give him his fangs. I'm attaching a screencap of that he should look like in profile, which may explain it better than I have.
profile.jpg

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

That is a very good start!!! The experience of learning is what counts!!!

Now you also have a conversation piece to boot, lol!!! (Mouth is ?)

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004