Astrolabe

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
giltzow
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom pro6+

Astrolabe

Post by giltzow »

Hi All
I found an Astrolabe generator at "The Astrolabe Project" http://www.astrolabeproject.com/
I used the files to make an astrolabe for my latitude (Boise, Idaho)
IMG_4759new.jpg
IMG_4777.jpg
IMG_4778.jpg
IMG_4774.jpg

TomWS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: OB Lead 1010, Mach3; OB C-Beam 1060 grbl

Re: Astrolabe

Post by TomWS »

Wow! What a beautiful instrument! I have no idea what that would be used for, but the workmanship would guarantee a place in anyone's display case!

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Wow! +1
VERY impressed with your attention to detail and craftsmanship!!
Very well done! :)
My congrats.
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Very Impressive. How did you do the print?

Gary

giltzow

Post by giltzow »

The letters and numbers are engraved on wood and plastic. The plastic has a layer of color apx .004" thick. The engraving bit cuts through that layer to white or black plastic beneath. The wood is engraved and then painted over with black paint and excess sanded off.

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: i2r B22

Post by AboveCreations »

I am in agreement... that is some mighty fine craftmanship, indeed. Thanks for the explanation on the engraving process. I assume that wood is oak or something very hard?

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

The letters and numbers are engraved on wood and plastic. The plastic has a layer of color apx .004" thick. The engraving bit cuts through that layer to white or black plastic beneath. The wood is engraved and then painted over with black paint and excess sanded off.
I know what material you were using. I made and donated plaques for Eighty-Eight Universities across the nation for the Sigma Lambda Chi Honor Society for Construction Management. However I used the Laser Engraver rather than the CNC machine. The metal insignia I modeled in Aspire and had them casted in metal by a supplier out of China.

Gary
Attachments
IMG_1520.jpg

giltzow

Post by giltzow »

AboveCreations wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:14 am
I am in agreement... that is some mighty fine craftmanship, indeed. Thanks for the explanation on the engraving process. I assume that wood is oak or something very hard?
I used a piece of ply (thin veneer on front and back with an MDF center). Not sure what the thin veneer is as I got the piece from a friend, who got it from a friend........ the stand (pictured below) is European Beech. I used a Precise Bits engraver (30 degree) and set the depth for .009" using the engraving tool in VCarve Pro with fill option.
IMG_4780.JPG

giltzow

Post by giltzow »

garylmast wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:20 pm
I know what material you were using. I made and donated plaques for Eighty-Eight Universities across the nation for the Sigma Lambda Chi Honor Society for Construction Management. However I used the Laser Engraver rather than the CNC machine. The metal insignia I modeled in Aspire and had them casted in metal by a supplier out of China.

Gary
Very nice Gary. Can you tell us the company in China that cast the metal part?

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Very nice Gary. Can you tell us the company in China that cast the metal part?

Sorry, it's been over three-years since I've did these and I don't remember the name of the company. After google search, I remember getting a couple of quotes from companies in the U.S. and for a minimum of 100 it was somewhere around $5,000. The company in China ended up be under $1000 for a hundred of them.

Gary

Luvtocarve
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Next Wave Piranha XL

Post by Luvtocarve »

This piece is amazing! Thanks for sharing.
Steve Harp
Wadsworth, Ohio USA
www.trlw.us