Zank Inlay-The Wenge Chronicles

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
laflippin
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR 8 Pro+

Zank Inlay-The Wenge Chronicles

Post by laflippin »

Since the scope of Zank Inlay projects is highly dependent on the availability of colored woods, and since the use of African wenge for “black” has stimulated some useful discussion of its cutting properties, I thought I’d briefly outline the results of an “in progress” Zank project that relies on wenge for some reasonably delicate bits.

The overall project is a redwood tray that will feature a wenge beetle with its name in maple. The female engraving (with a schmear of Miniwax Wipe-On Poly to protect the redwood from staining purple from glue-up) is shown below:
F01CF73F-B1CA-4241-B5CE-2080FDBC1C7A.jpeg
The male beetle workpiece was carved from a 6” x 12” x 3/8” piece of Ocooch Hardwoods wenge using a 60 deg v-bit at 18,000 rpm and 50 ipm feed rate. Close inspection shows that even the delicate features, such as the beetle’s feet and antennae, came out intact:
F14D8F7B-7553-4C3F-9582-B53AD3DD071B.jpeg
After removal of fuzzies, glue-up was accomplished with Titebond III and clamped for 48 hrs in a homemade letterpress style clamp:
0551316B-8F44-48FD-A6A3-498569261A6D.jpeg
After grinding off the bulk waste with an angle grinder fitted with cup-shaped 36 grit carborundum wheel, the only flaw was a minor chip-out from the tip of one the beetle’s feet (red circle):
5A65DD63-05D0-4D7F-A745-31CFE0756CDF.jpeg
The chipped-out piece will be replaced by epoxy mixed with fine wenge sawdust and should probably be unnoticeable after sanding and finishing w/ satin polyurethane.

TomWS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: OB Lead 1010, Mach3; OB C-Beam 1060 grbl

Re: Zank Inlay-The Wenge Chronicles

Post by TomWS »

Interesting mix of woods. I wouldn't have thought of redwood as an inlay material. I'm still in a rut thinking only closed pore hardwoods would work. You keep challenging my assumptions! :?

To clarify, you put on the coat of poly before engraving the female piece? And this prevent discoloring the material from the squeeze out glue?

I wonder if the letterpress platen wasn't able to apply enough pressure at the extreme ends by the foot. Maybe a thicker platen would work better.

I'm looking forward to the finished piece!

laflippin
Vectric Craftsman

Post by laflippin »

Well, actually I applied the thin coat of polyurethane after making the female engraving…I just wiped it lightly onto the surface and tried to keep it out of the engraving. Some gets in, but not enough to cause problems. In some other projects I’ve done it the other way, i.e., applied the protective coat and then engraved the female workpiece…if the exact order of these steps makes a difference I haven’t been able to detect it yet.

But, yes, Titebond III glue, which inevitably squeezes out of the inlay during glue-up & clamping, stains redwood a dark bluish-purple color. In some earlier redwood projects, before FixitMike kindly suggested that I should protect the surface before glue-up, I made some weird and deep purple auras on a few projects that had to be sanded away so vigorously that the inlay itself was also sanded down much too far.

As far as using soft woods generally for Zank Inlay, I’ve had some pretty good results inlaying clear pine into redwood.
C432C30D-DDEA-45A1-9ED9-6A1D61BA8910.jpeg
ABF12DA5-43CF-4239-9D07-EF9BD1FB2206.jpeg
16B489C0-BE02-4E68-BF2C-16F7B4E92A4D.jpeg

laflippin
Vectric Craftsman

Post by laflippin »

Fully sanded down and first coat of polyurethane.
46F820B1-D3B0-4E23-9DF6-B495AEC85CCA.jpeg

TomWS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: OB Lead 1010, Mach3; OB C-Beam 1060 grbl

Post by TomWS »

Well, it certainly looks like every Trichocnemis spiculatus I've ever seen! :wink:

Great job on the legs! They look very real!

Interesting that a beetle like that would show up in redwood! :D

Once again, you've added fuel to my desire to try inlays. I've started thinking about subjects (none of them include beetles, however).

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Very nice result Lee!! :)
Love that you did a step by step format thread!
When I started, I learned 10 times as much from threads like yours vs. just a finished product.
(also when you're writing as you go...more details seem available..
and a mistake thoroughly talked through is 10X more info than a "Perfect" cut:)
Thank You for the informative thread!!
scott

Of course that would be a perfect way to keep Mom from entering the shop!! "OOH...BUGS!!" :)

Still remember when I was thrown into Paul's VInlays when I barely knew how to run the machine,
and got so much help from others! I'd still go Paul's 7 step program when I get back into them;
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20529&hilit=vinlay+opinions
I think I made every mistake there was! :)
Attachments
grain may be right but she ain't gonna fit.jpg
MOM INLAY TEST 2 VINLAY RIGHT.jpg
Zebra 1 forgot start depth not seated.jpg
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.