Kitchen Cabinet Door

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
Retired FF
Model of CNC Machine: AVID Pro 48x96

Kitchen Cabinet Door

Post by Retired FF »

Just showing what a cherry cabinet door $5 flea market find can become.
Used a picture of the the door imported into VCarve Pro to trace the profile so that I could make sure the maltese cross fit well within the arch of the cathedral door panel.
Finished with several coats of satin polyurethane prior to carving, quote text was then stained with the excess easily wiping from the pre-applied poly. Paint to highlight the poly was applied and wiped as well. Center is the challenge coin of the department from which I retired from.
I'm going to be donating this to my brother and sister firefighters and the command staff of the department to place in the headquarters station as a reminder of what it means to be a firefighter.
Attachments
Fire Quote Door Panel.jpg

Todd D
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8 PRO V5

Re: Kitchen Cabinet Door

Post by Todd D »

Wow nice job I am sure it will be as appreciated as you and your fellows service and I like the repurposing of materials,

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Excellent repurposing of found wood!!
(Like the price too!:)
VERY clean cutting, and sure it will be an inspiration for years to come. :)
What was the font height and font you used?
Liking the "islands" shape on the a's and e's.
Might be good for Tiny fonts that I usually wind up doing:)
Well Done Sir!! :)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Retired FF

Post by Retired FF »

That you for your kind comments.

Scott, the font is Gloucester MT Extra Condensed, 3/8" high and carved with a 60 degree v-bit, max depth of cut is shown as .1047" on the toolpath info. This is the first time I've used this font and I really like the way it came out.

My wife and I are always on the look out for wooden products that can be repurposed as this has. Checking out thrift stores, flea markets and yard sales have yielded multiple cutting boards and cabinet doors as well as additional wood items that I have sitting around waiting for the right job to fit them.

Rich

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks Rich!
I knew I'd forget, so added it into a V11 "Play" folder so it would show in my recent list. :)
2021-08-25 08_43_57-Window.jpg
Nice to know multi layers of poly before carving cut clean.
(I DO use at least one coat of oil before carving and it Does help a Lot!)
Don't normally use polys, but good to know!

All volunteers here, but they Are appreciated!!
Thanks for your service!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

pappybaynes
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger

Post by pappybaynes »

Awesome use of the door! I always look on Craig's list for old tables made of solid wood in the "free" section.

Retired FF

Post by Retired FF »

Scott,
I use water based poly in several thin coats, it dries quickly and really does work well for applying paints or stains into the v-carving while being able to keep the surrounding surface clean.
All to familiar with the volunteer fire service, started out as a volunteer right out of high school and continued for fifteen years until a 'midlife' change to become a career firefighter, then 25 more years till I retired. I will always respect volunteer firefighters, worked right along side many very good ones.

Pappy,
Yes, Craigslist is another good place to look. I've picked up solid wood bed head and foot boards for free at the curb. Can't beat free!!

Rich

TomWS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: OB Lead 1010, Mach3; OB C-Beam 1060 grbl

Post by TomWS »

@Retired FF, does the poly ever build up on the Vee Bit if you poly before carving? I'm about to start a project and decided to put on the poly first just so I could paint the carving without too much concern for over paint. But then I wondered if this will build up on the bit at all and cause it to clog or dull.

Retired FF

Post by Retired FF »

@TomWS, I've never had an issue with the poly building up on the v-bit at all. For the most part I use solid carbide v-bits and not the ones with changeable inserts and they stay sharp for a rather long time. Depending on the type of wood that you are v-carving all it takes is two coats of the poly to allow wipe of of paint or an overstain. One caveat is wide grain and porous woods like oak. I've had to use three and sometimes four coats to ensure the paint won't bleed into the open pores after carving. Sometimes on these type of woods I'll also apply a post carving coat or two of poly into the v-carve prior to painting to seal the pores and prevent bleeding. I typically use a water based poly for two reasons, 1. It dries quickly and 2. The coats themselves do not go on as thick as an oil based poly. Setting speed and feed correctly also goes a long way in keeping the bit sharp, if I notice that I'm not throwing what I feel are good chips I'll adjust the speed and or feed on the fly, especially for a longer v-carve like this was. One other thing to mention, If I have any doubt or concerns on a carve I'll do a test carve of some of the actual design in the same type of wood using the poly and paints I'm planning on using for the finished carve to test things. I've had failures at times and still do on occasion but for the most part this process seems to work well for me.