Candy Cane Ornaments done on my 4th axis

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
hmatyas
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3

Candy Cane Ornaments done on my 4th axis

Post by hmatyas »

I just finished these 4 candy cane ornaments for my grandkids.
I basically did everything except for cutting the wood to size, drilling the hole for the string
and sanding, on my CNC machine and my 4th axis.
Attachments
CloseUp.JPG
OnTree.JPG

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Re: Candy Cane Ornaments done on my 4th axis

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Nah man. Those are real candy canes :lol: . Just kidding but they look real. Nice job.
How did you do the hook?
Steve

hmatyas
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3

Post by hmatyas »

I used a ribbon tried with a square knot. There is a youtube video on Candy Cane Ornaments from As Wood Turns where he describes everything in great detail. I used that idea to make mine on the 4th axis. The big difference was drill the hole for the candy cane. He just had a drill bit and moved it into the lathe head. I had to make a jig that had a hole the diameter of the candy cane. I then drilled half way through, then flipped it over to finish drilling it all out. My router bit was an inch long and the candy cane ornament was 2 inch in length.

Todd Bailey
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CraftCNC

Post by Todd Bailey »

Hello, "hmatyas".

Ohhh I love a good candy cane!!! One of my fav Christmas treats... and always had one in my coat pocket for the late Christmas service at Church on Christmas Eve. It was such a tradition for me to have one that my parents would remind me before we left the house to grab one (I still do it now). Lovely... sorry a bit of reminiscing there.

These wooden wraps are sooo cool!!! Well done and to be able to use them year after year... very nice tradition to keep up.

Thanks for sharing... and bringing back those memories... now to find a candy cane (I think the kids have eaten them all) :)
------------------------------------
Todd Bailey | Design and Make
DesignAndMake.com