An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Re: Beer Taps - Part 2

Post by wb9tpg »

Jan.vanderlinden wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:24 pm
How long does it take to burn one of your taps?
I batch cut my taps, 4 at a time, from a single 22" long 5/4" QSWO board. To burn the four taps on one side with the laser is taking me 1hr 35min currently for that toolpath. I'm going to speed that up as I'm limiting the speed to 700mm/min now. I can up the speed and increase the power to compensate and will play with it as I do more of them. The backs are simpler and do not take that long.
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard

Post by wb9tpg »

Mark's Wood Chips wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:17 pm
wb9tpg wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:22 pm
J-Tech Photonics 4.2W spindle mounted laser.
Very nice work! What Z clearance do you need for this laser?

Mark
The laser assembly sits 1/8" above the workpiece being burned as it's focused 1/8" below the bottom of the protective shroud. I made a rough measurement for you and you'd need 85mm minimum from the bottom of the chuck to the top of the workpiece.
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

Mark's Wood Chips
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre 23 with Rotary

Post by Mark's Wood Chips »

wb9tpg wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:22 pm
The laser assembly sits 1/8" above the workpiece being burned as it's focused 1/8" below the bottom of the protective shroud. I made a rough measurement for you and you'd need 85mm minimum from the bottom of the chuck to the top of the workpiece.
Thanks for the info. A couple of more questions if you don't mind - How do you deal with fumes? How is the laser driver wired to your machine? And finally, are you using a Vectric post processor for the laser tool paths?

Thanks,

Mark

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard

Post by wb9tpg »

Mark's Wood Chips wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:36 pm

Thanks for the info. A couple of more questions if you don't mind - How do you deal with fumes? How is the laser driver wired to your machine? And finally, are you using a Vectric post processor for the laser tool paths?

Thanks,

Mark
Fumes - I'm only cutting wood and doing it in the garage (my shop) with the door open. I like the smell of a wood fire too LOL. The J-Tech site does a pretty good job of telling what's safe to cut/burn.

My Shapeoko CNC has a PWM output that is wired to the Laser controller (this varies laser intensity with setting the spindle speed in the toolpath). The cables from the Laser Controller runs through drag chain and I plug the Laser Unit into those when I put it into the chuck. I should note that the PWM signal also goes to the VFD to control the Spindle Speed. I set the GRBL $30 parameter (max spindle speed) to 24,000 and so I use those settings in my toolpath. If I want 50% power I just say 12,000 RPM in the toolpath.

I got the post processor I'm using with Vcarve Pro from J-Tech website. I did modify it by adding in the $32=1 in the header to turn Laser Mode on. That way I don't have to do it manually. That setting alters the laser power when the machine is accelerating/decelerating so you get a even burn. The less I can fudge up the better.
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

Mark's Wood Chips
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre 23 with Rotary

Post by Mark's Wood Chips »

Much obliged for the detailed laser info. I have a ShopSabre machine running WINCNC so I think an add-on laser would be difficult to do. Another concern I have, is that my gantry is heavy steel so I don't think the mechanics would like thousands of rapid, short moves typical of laser engravers.

Mark

Jan.vanderlinden
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Xcarve

Post by Jan.vanderlinden »

Fudge,,,
Nice reference to a Christmas story... :lol: :lol:
I've been in contact with Jay and am about to pull the trigger.
Can't wait to try it ont on my tap handles.
IMG_20190324_191515335  load.jpg
“I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making a few more”

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard

Post by wb9tpg »

Jan.vanderlinden wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:57 pm
Fudge,,,
Nice reference to a Christmas story... :lol: :lol:
I've been in contact with Jay and am about to pull the trigger.
Can't wait to try it out on my tap handles.
I'm recommend a V90 bit to start with. I tried a V60 to start with and it was too much. If you're going double sided I'd recommend an Amana Tool 51692 bit. You can use it to drill the alignment holes and also do the V-carving. It's a 4 flue bit so you can really push the feed rates with it.
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

Jan.vanderlinden
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Xcarve

Post by Jan.vanderlinden »

I'm currently carving it with a 30° v bit.
It works good, but I look forward to doing it with the laser.
I'm sure that i'll get better detail.

Yes, my taps are two sided.
I have a holding fixture that I set up the machine and flip the blanks over for the two sides.
I first do the V carving first and then cut the profile ~.06 deeper than half the material thickness using tabs.
“I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making a few more”