Zank Inlay serving tray

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
laflippin
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR 8 Pro+

Zank Inlay serving tray

Post by laflippin »

Sake tray with coasters.JPG

Thought I'd share a recent Zank Inlay project, walnut inlaid into red oak, partly to reopen the subject of waste-backing removal from Zank projects. As Zank vets will know, there have been several methods put forward over the years for the crucial waste-backing removal step and much discussion of the strengths and weaknesses of each.

Rather than review the popular methods, I thought I'd use this 9" x 15" x 1" deep oval tray to put forward my favorite method. Although most of the well-known techniques are not really feasible for removing waste-backing from the bottom of a tray like this one, the method I used for doing it is very easy and gives the craftsman great hand-control over the removal process. It is so versatile and fast, I use it to remove the waste backing from all of my Zank Inlay projects regardless of the project dimensions or geometry.

Note, to save expensive hardwood I generally buy 1/4" thick pieces of hardwood for the male workpieces and glue these to thin particle board of the same x and y dimensions. These blanks are then used in the Zank procedure in the usual way: The male mirror image of the female engraving is carved and cut out from this stock, then glued up and clamped, clamped, clamped.

For waste-backing removal (dust mask and goggles required, ear protection strongly suggested) I secure the workpiece on a shop table, set a shop fan to blow across the workpiece, and hand-remove the waste-backing with a cheapo Harbor Freight Tools high-speed angle grinder fitted with a 36-grit carborundum wheel. This is an extremely aggressive tool, so you must learn the feel of it--it is very easy to mar the actual workpiece surface unless you pay good attention.

The pros of this method: A standard 4" 36-grit carborundum wheel grinds through particle board and hardwood like a hot knife through butter, and the wheels are cheap and last a very long time (I just changed wheels after a year on my first one). Because the user has precise hand-control over the grinder, he can be aggressive early and careful later as the artwork starts to show through in the removal process. (Note, the usual 0.1" protrusion of the male piece from the workpiece surface--e.g, when the flat depth = 0.1" for the male carving--is very helpful for providing a buffer zone between the waste-backing and the workpiece surface.) This is a very quick way to get a Zank Inlay project ready for rough sanding with a random orbit sander, prior to hand finishing. Because hand-control of the grinder allows variable pressure in the x, y, and z dimensions, the user can vary the rate of attack to spare the especially fine areas of a Zank Inlay, which are sometimes subject to being chipped or yanked out of the engraving by methods which don't provide such adaptable control.

The cons: At first, I used to get covered with sawdust during each of these procedures. After a while a lightbulb came on and so now I do this in front of a strong shop fan (still wearing mask, goggles, ear protection). Later, I clean up the sawdust from off of my shop floor instead from of my arms, legs, head, torso, etc. That's the only real con, IMO: The grinder makes a lot of sawdust. On the other hand, it's fun to make sawdust if you're not always being covered with it, so there's that....

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Re: Zank Inlay serving tray

Post by Savannahdan »

Sounds messy but a lot of fun. I'd probably use my stand-along router with the larger base to remove the waste on the oval bowl. That's messy as well but I have a large, gulp type of dust control hood that I move near these projects. I also take most of my dusty projects outside the shop and have a large fan blowing on them to help with dust control.

BTW, this set looks incredible. Thank you for sharing.

laflippin
Vectric Craftsman

Post by laflippin »

In my experience, the angle grinder is much easier to control than a stand-alone router for waste-backing removal. Problem w/ the hand-held router is, you cannot easily see the exact place on the surface that you are working on and that's potential for disaster. I've also used the cnc router for waste-backing removal but set-up time is longer than I like, and a fixed feed rate can lead to chipping out of delicate parts of the inlay.

Again, with a hand-held grinder the ability to vary pressure in any direction makes it an optimum tool for waste-backing removal from any type of Zank project. Watching a video of somebody sculpting wood furniture with an angle grinder gave me the idea for this specialty use--it goes very fast through bulk wood and then you also have fine control when needed, i.e., near the workpiece surface. The set-up time only requires clamping the workpiece to a table. The follow-up is just sweeping up some sawdust.

Making a little sawdust doesn't bother me at all--as pointed out before, I always wear dust protection gear when doing this kind of work and with the shop fan I only need to clean the floor at the far end of my shop, instead of dusting myself.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

VERY nice Egyptian Sake Tray Lee :)

Don't know your method would work for me....last time I used my mungo angle grinder...
Almost modified my kneecap using it in the 'Chair :) :)
Very clean work, and nice contrasts!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

laflippin
Vectric Craftsman

Post by laflippin »

Hey Scott, Definitely want to wait until the wheel stops turning before you rest that bad boy on your knee.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Yep...don't need any more customized knees Lee :)
GOT to make sure both wheels are FIRMLY locked!
"For every action, there is an equal and Opposite reaction" still bites me once in while when rushing! :oops:
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.