Christmas Gift to Daughter

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
jay pieper
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: laguna swift 4x4

Christmas Gift to Daughter

Post by jay pieper »

IMG_1057.JPG
My daughter has become a runner of sorts with a few girl friends. On weekends they like to run 5K, 10K, and of
lately half marathons. About a month ago four of them got together to run a relay marathon. Each runner ran a set
amount of time over a 24 hour period. Oh forgot to mention this race was run in a town north of the Twin Cities in
November ( God Bless Their Cold Souls).

I saw the design model in the D&M store and knew I had to purchase it for this project. The plaque came out of the
of the clipart file in V Carve. I added the pegs along the bottom for various race medals, and a hanger on the back
to go on a wall.

I laminated the walnut and oak to get the effect I wanted. Adjusted the model heights to the thickness I wanted for each
piece of wood. Flatten each piece to the height of the model they represented. Did the 3D carve and projected the Text
on the model for the ribbon, watch, and medal in the walnut part of the plague.

Hoping Santa gets a big hug for Christmas.

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

Re: Christmas Gift to Daughter

Post by jimandi5000 »

very nice!
Thanks,
Jim

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

I think that "Hug" may break a couple ribs :D
Great work and sure she'll Love It!! :)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

BigC
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

Post by BigC »

AWESOME

Holzarbeiter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger SR24

Post by Holzarbeiter »

Wow, Jay, that looks fantastic? I love the contrasting woods.
I think someone is going to be very happy.
Joe

I have a chip on my shoulder....several more in my hair and lots more all over my shop floor.

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

jay pieper wrote:
IMG_1057.JPG
I laminated the walnut and oak to get the effect I wanted. Adjusted the model heights to the thickness I wanted for each
piece of wood. Flatten each piece to the height of the model they represented. Did the 3D carve and projected the Text
on the model for the ribbon, watch, and medal in the walnut part of the plague.

Hoping Santa gets a big hug for Christmas.
Looks really nice! I am curious.. could you try to explain your laminating process? Mainly, which glue did you use? I purchased a group of laminate pieces off of ebay (10x12") and I am not sure how to apply them. I've watched a few videos on youtube. But most of them zipped right to the glueing and didn't explain what glue type they were using. The glue looks like a syrup, not a normal glue. So I am not sure what to use and how much to apply. Do you let it set over night, or how long?

jay pieper
Vectric Craftsman

Post by jay pieper »

-Ed-
I am not sure what type of glue they were using in that video you saw, there are
so many different types. I myself have always used titebond II premium wood glue
for bonding or laminating wood together. I usally apply enough glue to get both pieces
completely covered with an even coat (don't apply to thin).
after that I built a 24x24 press that applies even pressure on the wood and let sit
overnight 24 hours. I am sure there are many was to laminate wood I have used this process
many years and has worked for me.
Hope I answered your question

Todd Bailey
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CraftCNC

Post by Todd Bailey »

Hello Jay!

Thanks for sharing... this is so nice!!! Well done... and I suspect you got a few hugs for this one!
------------------------------------
Todd Bailey | Design and Make
DesignAndMake.com

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

jay pieper wrote:-Ed-
I am not sure what type of glue they were using in that video you saw, there are
so many different types. I myself have always used titebond II premium wood glue
for bonding or laminating wood together. I usally apply enough glue to get both pieces
completely covered with an even coat (don't apply to thin).
after that I built a 24x24 press that applies even pressure on the wood and let sit
overnight 24 hours. I am sure there are many was to laminate wood I have used this process
many years and has worked for me.
Hope I answered your question

Thanks for your reply Jay. That was helpful. I've seen the Titebond II glue, I would just need to devise some clamping mechanism because I think you really need pressure all over the laminate and right now all I have are clamps. Thanks again.

jay pieper
Vectric Craftsman

Post by jay pieper »

Thought I would post a follow-up on the Christmas gift for my daughter. Dad got
what he was looking for a big old hug from his daughter, and a tear coming down his
face with the excitement from her as she opened her gift. I don't think they were
home more than a minute when she sent me the picture of here new home for her
running medals. I know one thing for sure it never gets old when you can make
someone happy and you get to see a big smile.
Attachments
IMG_1078.jpg

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

A job well done....

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

A couple of tricks for laminating pieces:

1. The wood has to be flat, FLAT. Cups, bows, dings, etc are the enemy. If you do not have a planer or drum sander then the next best thing is flatten the stock on the machine, give it a light sand when done.

2. Clamps work well for smaller stuff. For larger work you do not need a press (though they are handy as all get out). Scrap steel works great. Weights from a dumbbell set work fine too. Any thing heavy, a box of nails. One guy I know uses recycled one gallon milk containers filled with water. Most people apply too much pressure.

3. If you have a thin lamination you need to put a thicker piece on top of it, otherwise the glue soaks into the wood and tries to bubble it up.

Almost forgot! Great job!
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

meflick
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Post by meflick »

Thank you for showing. I’ve been doing some 5Ks this past year (walker, not a runner) and been looking for ideas for hanging my medals. Trying to decide if I want one for multiple races, or smaller for each one I do, I have purchased the 191 Hack of the week as it several of these models. I hope mine looks this good if I ever get there. 😉🏅