Aluminum Panel

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Ok Warren here are my answers to your questions:

I got the parts and the design from on guy Joe (something) on cnczone. I was going to try and cut the parts myself but my old machine couldn't cut big enough. For ballscrews I'm using 1/2 inch - 10 threads per inch ACME rod. And the spindle is a 2.25HP Hitachi router. As for getting it off the floor I'm going to move it to the bench where my old machine is. I thought about putting it up on legs and not on the bench (I'm short bench space most of the time) but I just don't know where I'd put it in the shop with out it being in the way.

Don, V-carved toenails.... you know they have drugs that can help people like you? hehe

Dan, I've thought about building a vacuum attachment for it but my fear with that is I won't be able to see what it's doing.

Well that's it for now. I cut my first job on it and cut it wrong. Like a dope I had to offset some vectors in by .01 inches total but forgot that when you offset all sides move in so I should have offset by .005 inches. One of those brain fart moments.

Thanks for all the kind words.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Post by RoutnAbout »

Hey Jay,

What about puttingn it on a set of casters\Wheels.
This fall I 'm going to make a second table and put it on wheels.
Jay wrote:Don, V-carved toenails.... you know they have drugs that can help people like you? hehe
Thanks for the Compliment!!
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

That's funny you bring up the casters. Last night I was thinking about doing that, do you think it would be stable enough? I've got some 5-inch casters I trash picked a while back that I think would work nicely.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

Les_linton
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ViperX7

Post by Les_linton »

Trash picking pack rats.....

I think I'm on the right forum :P

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard

Post by RoutnAbout »

Jay, I'm going to build a second table that will be about 40inches by 60inches. Probably build a frame out of 80/20 material. I'll also be adding some kind of heavy duty caster. That way I can take some of my show on the road......... >>> Routnabout.... catchy huh?? but thats the plan anyway...

I think if the frame work is sturdy enough I'm sure it'll be okay. And a quick table surface to bring it close to level. I don't see a problem. I know there will be some that pick it apart, but it'll work... I have no doubt.
Les_linton wrote:Trash picking pack rats.....
I think I'm on the right forum :P
The more i see his posts, I'm begining to see how he knows about those drugs for certain types of people. :)
________
Don

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

I think the coaster idea would work too. And in theory if the machine is built right and the platform it's sitting on is setup right it should stay true relative to itself.

40 by 60 would be nice. What I liked about this size is you can get a ¼ sheet of plywood on it. But soon as you get a bigger machine the first thing you think is ‘Gee I could use a bigger machine’. Someday I’ll get spot to build a pole barn and I’ll build that 6 foot by 12 foot machine I’ve always dreamed about. What I’ll do with it I have no idea, but that’s not the point really.

As for my drug and trash picking knowledge.... ahhh .... LOOK OVER THERE! (Insert the sounds of me running away)
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard

Post by RoutnAbout »

I've got a 4x8 shopbot, and have thought about extending it to 14 or 16 foot, and then just adding a second carrage at the other end. I can see several crafts in the future.. and I think that'll help punch them out.

Am glad you have a sense of humor.. enjoy picking on you Jay, But I do have someone a personal question Les sparked....

Are you apart of the Rat Pack???
________
Don

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

You ever hear that joke about the Rat Pack? Sammy Davis told it. He said that Frank Sinatra saved his life. One day some mob guys took Sammy into the alley behind the theater and start beating him up. After about 10 minutes Frank steps out of the shadows and says 'Ok boys that's enough'

As for my sense of humor, warped would be the word I use to describe it.

You know what I think would be really cool (and you're really going to think I'm nuts) but a cnc machine you could ride on. Haven't you ever seen one of those 10 feet wide machines and thought 'Boy that'd be fun to sit on the gantry while it's moving around’? Kind of like that guy on the bomb in 'Doctor Strange Love'
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

Burchtree
Vectric Wizard

Post by Burchtree »

Hi Jay
You really need to get some fresh air those paint and glue fume's can be dangerous!
Dan

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard

Post by RoutnAbout »

Yes, I've heard that joke a few times... showing our ages aren't we...errrrr aren't you.

Jay, I can see you putting a folding chair on that new router of yours.
Now I'm gonna have to go and rent that movie. Thanks.

Man this thread has been a strange one...
________
Don

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Yeah this post has really gone off the tracks hasn't it.

Back to the machine for a sec, one thing I like about this new machine already is it's heavy. On my old machine if you went about 40ipm and there where a lot of direction changes it'd start jumping around. It was fun to watch but made one a little worried.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

Jay, your idea of a machine you ride around on already exists. I saw a machine once in a place where they cut landing gear for passenger jets. The machine had 6 landing gear on it! So you can imagine it was pretty big and the operator was sat on a platform with the controls - this was attached to the gantry and moved with it. One day I hope to contribute something technical to the forum but until then I will just help to fuel Jay's crazy ideas. Cheers, James PS your new machine (although it lacks a chair) looks great.

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

That sounds pretty sweat James.

'One day I hope to contribute something technical to the forum but until then I will just help to fuel Jay's crazy ideas.' If my wife was reading this she'd tell you not to encourage me.

Speaking of encouraging me, if I can’t ride my machine I need a mascot that can. Who better than my Thierry Henry bobble head?

Here’s a link to a very poor quality video of my new mascot trying out his new ride: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8214145100

I think he likes it.
Attachments
IMG_6104.JPG
(578.45 KiB) Downloaded 562 times
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

Burchtree
Vectric Wizard

Post by Burchtree »

Hi Jay
What kind of accuracy are you expecting to see with your new machine? When all is said and done how much time and $$$ will you have in it?
Again nice work Jay
Dan
P. S. If you haven’t done so already make an appointment with a dentist. That is a very serious over bite your picture is showing
Last edited by Burchtree on Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

If I can get within a few thousandths I'll be happy. So far it seems like I'll be able to get that. As for cost I had the parts cut for me, which added a lot to the tab. The plans are on cnczone for free but my machine couldn’t cut big enough.

So here are the numbers:
Cut Parts: $775
New Power supply and controllers: $750
Misc Parts: $250
New Motors: $500
New Router: $120

I could have saved money by using my old machines power supply and controllers but I wanted more power and Gecko controllers (202's). Also the motors don't really need to be upgraded but again big is always better, right? (269oz currently moving up to 762oz)

The big savings would come if you could cut your own parts. You'd need like 3 sheets of mdf. So that'd really knock the price down.

And as for the over bite, that's one of my boys Big George. I don't think he'd like going to the dentist too much judging by his reaction going to the vets.

We've got 2 English bulldogs (George and Charley) and a pug (Oscar). Here's a shot of the three of them, I was feeding them hot dogs in this picture.
Attachments
IMG_1064.JPG
(591.23 KiB) Downloaded 489 times
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)