Preparing for Carving SKS Stock Replacement

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Re: Preparing for Carving SKS Stock Replacement

Post by sharkcutup »

The Stock Design was taken from a photograph and hand drawn in V-Carve Pro so probing in this case would not be an option. The other image of the original gun stock shown on this thread is available for measurements especially for the internal components of the rifle.

So Probing may only be an option if it was able to probe some of the internal areas of the gun stock.

Thank you for the thought though!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Progress Report 2/15/2020 (None at present time)

This Project is on hold at the present time because the original client is searching for gun stock prototype material and the actual final stock material. This Project will proceed once I have this material in had to work with.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Progress Report 4/2/2020

Decided to create another proto-type Stock because the first ptoto-type was not wide enough for hollowing out stock for rifle mechanics. hey but at least I have the outside area logistics accomplished. I have just completed the V-Carve file adjustments for the thicker material. I will probably start carving in the next couple of days. I just need to work out the logistics of clamping the thicker material to the CNC bed! :roll:

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Progress Report 4/7/2020

This past weekend I carved the second prototype which is with full size width for hollowing out inside for SKS rifle mechanics.
Optimized-Stock_RIGHT.jpg
Optimized-Stock_CheekPad.jpg
Optimized-Stock_LEFT.jpg
Optimized-Stock_TOPSIDE.jpg
Onward to hollow out the inside for the SKS rifle mechanics. The setup will probably take longer than the actual carve. After hollowing out the inside profile I will begin the tedious rounding of the butt of the stock top, bottom and the overall length of the stock too!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Progress Report 4/10/2020

Started the internal hollowing of the SKS Replacement Stock yesterday. Got most of the Internal area carved out. It was very rough going. There will definitely have to be some adjustments made. I will also have to create/make another proto-type with the needed adjustments incorporated before moving on to the real article.
Optimized-20200409_191204.jpg
Optimized-20200409_191248.jpg
I am finding that this is much more of a challenge than the Antique High Chair/Rocker build I had completed just recently.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Progress Report 4/12/2020
Optimized-20200412_120136.jpg
All that is left is contour shaping, sanding, wood conditioner to bring grain out, natural wood stain, and maybe a couple coats of sealer.

The Internal hollowing was definitely a challenge on this proto-type. There will be some adjustments made on the real deal!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Well, that has come along very nicely! Great work!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Tim B.
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna Swift 4x8

Post by Tim B. »

Hello good sir.

I have just been pointed to this thread as I was asking for advice on how to reproduce stocks and pistol grips. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

How did you get the shape or profile of the SKS stock? Did you draw that in Aspire or something else? Also, from what I can tell, you are not using a 4th axis to cut your stock. When you started the in-letting (carving out for the rifle), how did you go about that? Did you take measurements off the original stock?

I saw mention of a "probe" for your CNC. I think I know what you are talking about, but in my effort not to "assume" (we all know what happens when you do that.. haha) could you please explain that to me or link something so I can see what you are talking about?

I am about to start my last semester of gunsmithing school in a week or so. May I offer some of my knowledge about stocks? You want to use a hardwood (as you already know) such as Walnut, which is the most popular in the gun industry. Mapel is another good wood for stock material. Oak and Mahogony, while good for furniture is not desirable for rifle stocks. As for a finish, in the gunsmith world, a product called "True Oil" is used as well as a couple of other items. Brownells dot com is one source to find the finishes you might need if you decide to go that route. You can find True Oil here https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tool ... /index.htm.

I am very interested in your project. I wish you luck and look forward to seeing the finished product.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

I started the project using V-Carve Pro V9.519 (Two-Sided Project)
The Moulding toolpath is very handy in providing the contours I needed. A lot of trial and error was performed in the software to get a contour which I felt comfortable with to begin carving. Beings these are untried files/gcode I decided to use cheap pine board in fact, in order to get correct stock width (approx. 2") for the mechanics and for the required outer contours I had use 1" Pine Stair Boards laminated/glued together. My very first prototype was just a 1 1/2" x 6" x 30" carved out of a 2" x 6" just to play with various contours using the moulding toolpath. It was a very tricky and time consuming project with all the trial and error involved.

I do not have probing capabilities or the 4th axis that you have mentioned.

I have recently posted an image showing that the rifle mechanics have been successfully installed after hollowing out the 2nd proto-type (2 stair boards 12" x 1.0625" x 36" laminated/glued together) had been successfully contoured and carved out. The hollowing out of the stock requires a special fixture to hold the stock firmly for the upper side of the stock. I was able to hollow out 50% of the stock from the bottom side clamping it firmly to end of machine bed. Then I created a fixture to hold the stock upright for hollowing out the balance of the stock. At first the rifle mechanics did not go in but with a few minor adjustments it fit like a glove.

I understand about the need for a good hardwood and grain direction for the actual stock. I have been looking for Actual gun stock material during these ongoing stages. I have a couple of sites to choose from and I am waiting for all my trial and error and the necessary tooling to be settled and confidence built before committing to the actual stock material.

Thank you for the tips on the finish requirements!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Progress report 8/31/20 (Apologize for the long delay - LIFE LOL!)

Second sks rifle prototype stock was taken to a firing range along with internal rifle components and test fired. Proto-type stock held up well.
A discussion with a friend there at the range suggested I look at trying to carve stock as two halves and laminate together as a completed stock. So I decided to give that a go. The design process was a bit complicated and lengthy, not to mention learning too but I believe I have got it all worked out and am ready to carve the first halve (left side of rifle stock).
I had decided to undertake this process because of all the fixturing of cutting the internal portions of a whole stock. Plus the added safety factors involved throughout the process.
Besides I have enjoyed the challenge of designing it all over again as two halves.
The images you are about to see are from VCarve Pro 10.507
Left Side External.png
Left Side Internal.png
Right Side External.png
Right Side Internal.png
Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

This version is looking good, too!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Carved both sides of the left half of the SKS gun stock yesterday. All went seemingly well.
20200902_184619.jpg
20200902_184638.jpg
Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Looking good Shark!
Ain't the pleasure of prototyping a source of never ending Joy :)
( I actually Do like it, as it's virtually never boring)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Thank you mtylerfl and scottp55 for your comments! They are always Appreciated!

As always adjustments are going to be needed for the final carvings but that is always an assumed condition to any project. But I must say it is definitely an awesome project. I have been learning so much not only in VCarve Pro but all the other aspects (tooling, jigs, etc...) throughout the process. I enjoy challenges! Challenges tend to keep the brain tuned and limiting/avoiding so called "brain farts"!

Now to carve the right side and marry the to halves for a fit check. If that is successful, then fit check the SKS rifle mechanisms and make any necessary hand carve adjustments to either of the two halves before mating/gluing them together.

So now on to carve the right hand side/half of the gun stock. I will report back here when that is carved and fit checked to left Hand/Half of gun stock.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Got the right side half of gun stock carved. Mated the two halves together. The mating is right on! Unfortunately the internal carvings need adjustments because the rifle mechanism/hardware did not fit into stock.
20200911_172628.jpg
20200911_172638.jpg
On to make adjustments and carve a second prototype if each half again with a fit check afterwards.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 12.004