The Open Book

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
BigC
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

The Open Book

Post by BigC »

I've just finished my first attempt at milling "The Open Book"
It's small, measuring just 75mmx45mm. (Oak) It will form part of a Christmas decoration I'm working on.
Turned out not bad in the end. Shame to paint the front pages (a parchment colour) as the oak grain is so nice (I don't know, I may just leave it) :lol:
open book.jpg
Regards
C

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Re: The Open Book

Post by sharkcutup »

NOOOOOO! Please do not PAINT!!! :roll:

Oak is such a Beautiful Hardwood! :)

If there is any text on it then yes painting the text stands out.

Just my Thoughts/Opinion!

Sharkcutup
Facebook: Hogan's CNC Crafts
V-Carve Pro 9.519

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: GCnC/WinCNC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Definitely look at glazing rather than painting.

On your next attempt, try cutting with the gain horizontal rather than vertical and see which give the best compliment to the flow of the piece.
- Randall Newcomb

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

Post by jimandi5000 »

I agree.... Please no paint!!! ;)
Thanks,
Jim

BigC
Vectric Wizard

Post by BigC »

Sounds like the general consensus is not to paint :lol: So I'll just leave it. I noticed another thread within the Aspire section by Creation in Wood
Whereby he managed to get the words of Amazing Grace engraved or lasered into it. The piece was a lot larger and it would have been nice
but that's for another day
Thanks peeps for your views on the topic
Regards
C

ezurick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Chinese 6040

Post by ezurick »

BigC wrote:Sounds like the general consensus is not to paint :lol: So I'll just leave it. I noticed another thread within the Aspire section by Creation in Wood
Whereby he managed to get the words of Amazing Grace engraved or lasered into it. The piece was a lot larger and it would have been nice
Regards
C
It looks pretty good BigC. I also agree about no paint on Oak. I personally use Teak Oil. Really brings out the sheen on the grain imo. Also, there was a thread on here in regards to amazing grace. If you search, you might find it. Be sure to weed through that thread, because some folks actually corrected the lyrics and music later in the thread. I attempted to do the lyrics on that book. I am not sure what happened to it, since it was a while ago. But I remember that it turned out ok. If I recall, I used a 15 degree engraving tool and used the profile toolpath with something like a .08" depth. Just remember to select the model under "project toolpath under 3D model" at the bottom of the profile toolpath.

Oh! I do remember that my first attempt was on a 7.25" x 10" pine. That was WAY too small for the lyrics and music on the book. My tool chopped it to pieces. I then tried to do it on a 14" x 20" and it turned out much better. Took forever... but it was worth the experience.
~ Ed

BigC
Vectric Wizard

Post by BigC »

ezurick wrote:
BigC wrote:Sounds like the general consensus is not to paint :lol: So I'll just leave it. I noticed another thread within the Aspire section by Creation in Wood
Regards
C
It looks pretty good BigC. I also agree about no paint on Oak. I personally use Teak Oil. Really brings out the sheen on the grain imo. Also, there was a thread on here in regards to amazing grace. If you search, you might find it. Be sure to weed through that thread, because some folks actually corrected the lyrics and music later in the thread. I attempted to do the lyrics on that book. I am not sure what happened to it, since it was a while ago. But I remember that it turned out ok. If I recall, I used a 15 degree engraving tool and used the profile toolpath with something like a .08" depth. Just remember to select the model under "project toolpath under 3D model" at the bottom of the profile toolpath.

Oh! I do remember that my first attempt was on a 7.25" x 10" pine. That was WAY too small for the lyrics and music on the book. My tool chopped it to pieces. I then tried to do it on a 14" x 20" and it turned out much better. Took forever... but it was worth the experience.
Thanks for that Ed. Must get me some Teak Oil
Regards
C