FREE Labs Project: Magic Wine Bottle Holder

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
RebeccaJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Various

FREE Labs Project: Magic Wine Bottle Holder

Post by RebeccaJ »

Hey All,
This month’s project is inspired by a recent trip to Portugal where I came across a “floating” wine bottle holder in a gift shop and I was fascinated by how it was holding the bottle! I said to my partner “I’m going to make my own version for the next Labs project!” and so I did…

So the way it works is that the bottle is able to “float” and self-balance in the air, because the centre of mass is directly over the base of the holder, where the base is cut at an angle and the hole for the neck of the bottle is carefully positioned allowing the whole assembly to balance!

This design will only work with standard sized wine bottles (750ml, 11.5 – 13 Inches Tall and about 3” Wide)
This is one of those projects that is very simple and quick to cut and makes for a quirky last minute gift (I know I’ll be cutting some more for Christmas!)

You can download the project from: https://release.vectric.com/magic-wine-bottle-holder/

I hope you enjoy this project,
Happy Making,
Beki
Attachments
IMG_6125.JPG
IMG_6128.JPG
Beki
Senior Application Engineer - Vectric Ltd.

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Re: FREE Labs Project: Magic Wine Bottle Holder

Post by Savannahdan »

Fantastic, another great project and great gift to give. Thanks Beki. BTW, I trolled Portugal and it was interesting reading.

RebeccaJ
Vectric Staff

Post by RebeccaJ »

Thank you Savannahdan :)
Beki

andyfavors
Model of CNC Machine: X carve

Post by andyfavors »

Can The angle still be cut if you only have a 1/2" 90 degree bit?

RebeccaJ
Vectric Staff

Post by RebeccaJ »

Hi Andy,

Yes it can as it's a 90 degree tool, that's the important part creating the 45 degree angle :)

Thank you.
Beki

frank taylor
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: bravoprodigy be3030

Post by frank taylor »

IMG_20181201_135601.jpg
IMG_20181201_135540.jpg
made a location jig cut the piece 250mmx75mm wide cut the 45deg end in a drop saw place in in jig cut the ellipse put in another piece cut the ellipse change the cutter to 45deg and cut the text saved a lot of time

ZipperHead55
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4Pro+ and AR8Pro+

Post by ZipperHead55 »

RebeccaJ wrote:Hi Andy,

Yes it can as it's a 90 degree tool, that's the important part creating the 45 degree angle :)

Thank you.
Maybe I am overthinking this (I haven't tried making this project, but I'm planning on making a bunch of these for Xmas presents (I know a LOT of ladies that enjoy their wine, so....), but I don't believe that a 1/2" bit will be able to do this. I think it (the bit diameter) HAS to be at least as big as the thickness of the board. I would think that if you use a 1/2" bit on 3/4" wood (using only the vector in the project file) as it gets deeper into the wood, the bit will not be big enough to cut out the 45 degree angle and the top will have a 90 degree line for a tiny bit where the bit isn't wide enough to cut out the material.

I might use MS Paint (or similar) to illustrate my point. Or I might just try using a 1/2" diameter bit on a piece of scrap wood to illustrate my point. I hope you are right though, Beki, because I haven't been able to find a large 90 degree bit locally, and don't want to order/purchase one for one project when I have a bunch of perfectly good 90 degree bits in my collection.

Allan

ZipperHead55
Vectric Craftsman

Post by ZipperHead55 »

frank taylor wrote:
IMG_20181201_135601.jpg
IMG_20181201_135540.jpg
made a location jig cut the piece 250mmx75mm wide cut the 45deg end in a drop saw place in in jig cut the ellipse put in another piece cut the ellipse change the cutter to 45deg and cut the text saved a lot of time
I was somewhat of the same mind (about cutting the 45 degree angle on the bottom of the piece) for 2 reasons: 1) the reason I posted just above this post (about how I don't think a 1/2" diameter bit will be able to do this (without creating multiple vectors) and 2) it seems that some things are quicker/easier to do with other tools IF you have them. I can appreciate that not everybody has those tools (they might just have a CNC machine), but sometimes I think using the CNC router to do some operations (especially 2-sided) is more trouble than it's worth if you have the available tools. I recently bought a Laguna table saw, so I've been itching to use it to do proper cutting operations, not just quickly cross-cutting pieces to length to put onto my CNC, or using it as a jointer to edge-glue boards together.

I like the cut of your jig (see what I did there?). I like how you have the bolts to adjust for variations in the wood. Nice.

Allan

ZipperHead55
Vectric Craftsman

Post by ZipperHead55 »

[For some reason I can't edit my above post, so I'll put the pictures here]

As promised, I am attaching a high speed visual aid (using Aspire, naturally).

seanm
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: 6040 Desktop CNC

Post by seanm »

For a straight through cut in this case, you would need a 90 degree VBit with atleast the radius of the VBit equal to the depth of cut, in this case 0.75.
If we tried this profile cut with a smaller Vbit as is wanted here we would obviously end up with a vertical wall after 0.25 from the bottom of the cut.

However with that in mind for a little extra effort you can utilise the tools in the software to create you a smooth 45 degree angle by using the Molding Toolpath.
For this you will need a line vector to use as a rail, which is already in the project and a vector which represents the shape you want to mold along the rail, In this case a 45 degree vector with a vertical height equal to the depth of cut/material thickness.

Now as the below image shows, we cant just use the Molding Toolpath with a 0.5 inch VBit and expect that to be ok. On the left hand side of the image you can see a few things that would occur here.
1. you will be creating an undercut
2. The tool shank would crash into the top of that undercut
3. Once the toolpath has been ran and crashed into the side of the wood with the shank, the tool with retract directly up, vertically, meaning it will also pull the wood up and most likely it will start spinning around as fast as your spindle, which is very dangerous.
Capture.PNG
However, what we can do is create another molding toolpath which we run first that uses an End Mill which is capable of cutting the depth of material, essentially paving the way for the VBit. I have tried to demonstrate this with the image on the right.
I have also attached a CRV file which demonstrates what i have done so you can all inspect what it is doing.

I basically create another vector to mold for the Endmill, which starts at the same point, but ends just over the radius of the VBit tool away from where the original 45 degree vector finished, but still keeping it with a vertical depth of 0.75, the thickness of material.
All should make sense if you examine the file.

Please do not run these toolpaths directly on your machine, these images and files are purely to demonstrate concept.

NOTE: When creating your Molding Vectors, please keep in mind that the start point of these vectors determines where the toolpath starts, so if you create a molding vector which has a start point with the node furthest down in Y, the toolpath will start at the bottom of the material and work its way up, which you are not going to want to do, again inspect the vectors i have created here by going into the Node Edit Mode and selecting the molding vectors and you will see that the start points on these are the nodes that a furthest up in Y.
Attachments
how-to-solve-chamfer-with-smaller-vbit.crv
(44 KiB) Downloaded 158 times

ZipperHead55
Vectric Craftsman

Post by ZipperHead55 »

Thanks for that info. I was struggling to come up with a way to create a tool path to rapidly create the required angle in this particular case, using what bit(s) I have on hand.

But, I think this is a case where, given the required tools, it is much easier/faster to use tools on hand (hand saw and a mitre box, or table saw, or mitre (chop) saw).

Just because it CAN be done with the CNC, doesn't mean it SHOULD or have to be done with the CNC. Having said that, if one had to create a huge number of these items, buying a 1.5" 90 degree bit would do the job nicely and relatively quickly. To that end, it should be pointed out, in the interests of not wasting materials, it might be best to mirror the object and cut out 2 pieces at once (the 90 degree pass creating the 45 degree angle on both pieces at once).

Allan

RebeccaJ
Vectric Staff

Post by RebeccaJ »

Hey Allan,

I see Sean has provided an alternate, and very useful way for accomplishing this project when you don't have the tools to hand :D .
You are very right also in that the cutouts can all be done with hand/mitre/table saws, and that if it's faster this way then by all means take the faster route :) I'm sure many would agree with you that the CNC is just another tool in the shop :)
You are absolutely right also with your comment on mirroring the parts so that the one VBit cut actually creates the angle for two parts :) Thanks for sharing this top tip!

Thanks,
Beki
Beki