First Edge Lit With Drag Bit

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

First Edge Lit With Drag Bit

Post by dwilli9013 »

First Edge Lit sign with the new 90° diamond drag bit. Crude lighting with an led flashlight taped on the bottom line.
Material is Markolon Lexan which I get scraps of from work. 1/4" thick. I just used the recommended settings as Vcarve Pro had presets for my tool.
I will probably try this material with a .0625" ball nosed end mill for my next one and see how the material behaves.
All comments welcome as I am starting to try different materials and tools.
Attachments
Dubs Edgelit.jpg
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Re: First Edge Lit With Drag Bit

Post by Xxray »

Lexan is not the ideal material for edgelit as it hinders light transmission, but fine for practice.

I would say, try the quick engrave toolpath option, might take some tinkering but you should be able to eliminate those lines. Or maybe you did use that you didn't say, you can eliminate them in a regular pocket cut with proper settings. Looks like your stepover might be a bit high.
Doug

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

@Doug,
Thanks for the comments. I did indeed use the quick engrave option. I had a mini brain fade and increased my stepover too high. I was thinking in revers at the time.
Practice practice. This is almost as addicting as 3d printing. Both of which I plan to combine soon.
Thanks again. Dwayne
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

PDXHawkeye
Model of CNC Machine: Pilot Pro 4250

Post by PDXHawkeye »

I think I am using .04 as a stepover. I will double check and let you know. I have had very good success on the LEDs.

bluridg
Vectric Craftsman

Post by bluridg »

i'm sure I could find the info somewhere else, but would prefer it be from someone using it. what is a drag bit? bluridg

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

Drag bit is a non rotary tool typically using a diamond tip to etch designs into a variety of materials.

"Non rotary" as in, you don't turn on the router/spindle to use, it operates on pure friction and is spring loaded, making it ideal for slightly curved/irregular surfaces. They are capable of amazing, hair thin details but they only etch/engrave ,,, They can't cut/carve into materials.
Doug

bluridg
Vectric Craftsman

Post by bluridg »

thank you bluridg