My first acrylic sign

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: My first acrylic sign

Post by martin54 »

I'm a little like that but what gets given away is nothing like what you give away :lol: :lol:

I've got 4 kids but only 2 grand kids, well 2 & a bit as 3rd one is on her way still lol.

I was medically discharged from the Royal Navy so get a service invaliding pension, because of this I now do what I want pretty much when I want, great to be able to turn work down if you don't want to do it. I don't do things cheaply though just because I can, try to price everything at normal market value, ignore ebay where people are working for silly money & look instead at sign companies that offer the same service I do.
Don't do much of anything on the router just now, that's because I haven't worked out the best way to market the things I can make. Hopefully l will be able to do something about that as I love making the trinket boxes, edge lit stuff, name plaques (need I go on :lol: :lol: )

For the ones you do sell how you price them is obviously up to you but don't forget as well as materials you want to include something to cover electric, replacement tools, paint/varnish, brushes & cleaners if nothing else. Oh & a bit for machine maintenance.
It's generally the little things that people forget about but they can mount up over time.

pops1964
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot buddy bt 32

Post by pops1964 »

Martin , most the things I do sell are to people I've been making things fora few years. I am fortunate and have dedicated people I deal with that realize being hand made is a one of a kind thing and don't mind paying for quality . Awhile back I decided to start enjoying the shop and not let it be a job. I enjoy it more when it's something that's going to be a keepsake . You've got grandkids you know the look that's worth more than money.
Pops.
POPS1964
SHOPBOT Buddy BT-32

creek
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark HD 2.0

Post by creek »

Are most of the acrylic done on .25 thick and clear? Anyone tried the tinted transparent?
Thanks
creek
creek
Rocky Face, Ga

pops1964
Vectric Wizard

Post by pops1964 »

All mine are on .25 haven't tried tinted . pop's
POPS1964
SHOPBOT Buddy BT-32

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

I've done edge lit plexi in .25, .38, .50, 1" and 1.25".

Tinted plexi does not lend itself well to edge lighting, the tint inhibits the light. Have used silver mirror plexi many times, that works. [They also have half a dozen colors of mirrors, they will all light up but silver in the only one you can get .25, the rest are .125 which is usually too thin to be practical].
Doug

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I've not done many but most of them have been on 8mm acrylic, having had some left over from a job it seemed like the best thing to do. I have made some on 6mm as well but to be honest I prefer the look of the 8mm ones, personally think they look better quality being a bit thicker.
As Xxray says tinted acrylic tends to diffuse the light to much so doesn't give a great effect with edge lighting. Mirror works because its a film applied to one side of clear acrylic sheet.
Xxray have you tried applying a mirror film to clear acrylic? That would enable you to do more than 0.25 thick.

pops1964
Vectric Wizard

Post by pops1964 »

a new piece . pop's
Attachments
IMAG0050.jpg
POPS1964
SHOPBOT Buddy BT-32

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Post by Mike-S »

Very nice. The LED lighting makes it look 3 dimensional.