Farscape, Peace Keeper Pulse Pistol. (pics)

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
MasterAnubis
Model of CNC Machine: Taig Micro Mill

Farscape, Peace Keeper Pulse Pistol. (pics)

Post by MasterAnubis »

I'm in the process of making costumes based on these characters for me and my wife. Part of that is to build up my arsenal with another pistol. The reproductions of this pistol that were made are either too much cash or simply junk recasts. So, I opted to make them. I wasn't too hard of a decision actually since this is right up my alley.

I found a really good side pick and fit vectors around the silouette only. The rest of the details didn't come out well. I used the pic as reference to layout the rest of the lines using various techniques in Node Editing generally staring with just a square. Then I broke it down into areas that would be different levels or pieces. I copied and then either Subtracted Vectors or Keep Overlap of Vecotors to get the specific pieces. Then I cut it up into cutable pieces that fit my workspace. With my tooling I am limited to 4"x8"x1/2". That's pretty small considering some of the awesome rigs you guys have.

For fun, I 'cut' a whole side to see what I was looking at. The depth relationship is off but it was just for the heck of it.

Then, a whole day cutting 1/4" and 1/2" MDF. 21 pieces here. There will be a couple more added before molding.

When assembled, the seams that were added to fit my table were overlaped as much as possible to help with model stability and seam filling.

It's not done, the Vcarve Pro stuff is all done though. I have to router a few edges and do some filing to final shape. Then it gets sealed and molded to be cast up a couple of times for a final prop.

Thanks for looking,
Shawn

jimwill2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CaMaster Stinger w/recoil, FTC

Re: Farscape, Peace Keeper Pulse Pistol. (pics)

Post by jimwill2 »

Nice work! You must have a lot of free time on your hands.
Jim Williams

MasterAnubis

Post by MasterAnubis »

jimwill2 wrote:Nice work! You must have a lot of free time on your hands.
Not so much 'free' time as misappropriated time. :lol:

Also, a very understanding wife helps.

jimwill2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CaMaster Stinger w/recoil, FTC

Post by jimwill2 »

I know what you mean... I read a line about an office worker who said 'the internet was down at work all morning and I finished two weeks of work out of boredom!' Enjoy every chance you can to use your imagination.
Jim Williams

larryo
Vectric Craftsman

Post by larryo »

I am sorry to butt in and I like your work. but what is your screen resulution at. I have noticed that all your posts are so wide I cant get them to go on the screen. I have to shrink them to about 75% All the rest of the posts in the forum come out okay but every once in a while somone comes on with this wide format. I was just thinking that maybe you didnt notice it so I thought I would let you know. Sorry For bothering you . usally when I hit this format I just get out of it and look at somthing else as I have to keep usig the mouse to move back and forth to read each line. At 75% I cant see the writing.

backyard_cnc
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: SHOPBOT, LIGHTMACHINES MILL, AJAXCNC-KNE

Post by backyard_cnc »

Very cool piece but with all that mdf it looks like it could end up being a little heavy to handle. I think I would create some internal pockets in the larger pieces in places where the next layer covers it. This hollowing out will greatly cut down on the weight and not sacrifice the look at all.

Gerald

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Post by PaulRowntree »

backyard_cnc wrote:Very cool piece but with all that mdf it looks like it could end up being a little heavy to handle. I think I would create some internal pockets in the larger pieces in places where the next layer covers it. This hollowing out will greatly cut down on the weight and not sacrifice the look at all.

Gerald
I think he is going to make a mold from the mdf master
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

backyard_cnc
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: SHOPBOT, LIGHTMACHINES MILL, AJAXCNC-KNE

Post by backyard_cnc »

Yes that would make sense. It might still be heavy as a solid piece of cast poly as well, it looks very cool but bulky.

Gerald

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

That weapon looks like it should have a laser that is activated by pulling the trigger. That would give an intruder pause...

Angie

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

zeeway wrote:That weapon looks like it should have a laser that is activated by pulling the trigger. That would give an intruder pause...

Angie
I liked that idea, Angie....but my wife says, "You'd shoot your eye out." :roll:
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

mtylerfl wrote:
zeeway wrote:That weapon looks like it should have a laser that is activated by pulling the trigger. That would give an intruder pause...

Angie
I liked that idea, Angie....but my wife says, "You'd shoot your eye out." :roll:
That's only an issue with the Red Rider model of the Farscape Peace Keeper Pulse Pistol... :D

Angie

MasterAnubis

Post by MasterAnubis »

I'm really sorry, all. I seemed to have skipped out of this thread for a while. :( I'm also sorry for how the original pics display. My inclination is to give the biggest pics as possible to show as much detail as possible. Sometimes sites don't work well together.

I did mold this for casting. I'm not that good at the rotocasting but considering this is a pistol, I'm not too concered about the weight. I cast it a few times and lent the mold to Reynolds Advanced Materials(Smooth-On) to cast a display up. I'll try to get more pics this evening but attached it the one pic I have right now. The finished MDF master ready to mold on my custom made PK vest for my costume.
Attachments
578688_10151368059376574_343382588_n.jpg

gordread
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Professor HDX

Post by gordread »

Wow, very well done.

Gordon