New Project

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
Peter Stenabaugh
Vectric Craftsman

New Project

Post by Peter Stenabaugh »

Hey guys and gals, here is my latest project, (not done yet) that I am going to do for our local 'Stampede Breakfast' this year.
In Calgary, it is tradition to go around the week of the Calgary Stampede and take in the various FREE Breakfasts, Lunches and
sometimes Dinners that are put on through out the city. This year the Stampede runs from July 6 thru July 15.

In my neighbourhood, we have been doing our own private 'Crescent' stampede breakfast, this year will be the 12th year running. We
go around to all the neighbours, charge them $10 per 'bunkhouse', and have at it on the 1st Sunday morning of the Stampede. We quite
often have friends and visitors of the neighbours that are visiting from out of country. We have had some from Sweden and Germany,
England and so on.

Breakfast consists of loud country music, we block off the Crescent to traffic and set up on the street in front of my house. We have
Pancakes, Sausage, Bacon and Home Fries, lots of coffee, and usually some desert. Often we have some local talent doing some
country dances, etc or a band if there is one we can find. We also solicit all the local businesses for door prizes which range from
$10 coupons at Wendy's or Tim's to getto blasters, and $50 coupons for dinner etc. Usually every household - oops bunkhouse gets
a door prize of somekind, they are all drawn at random.

It's a real blast and we get to meet new people every year, and re-new friends we have not seen since last year, even though they
only live up the street - typical eh?

This sign is a combination of a couple of models that I recently purchased from Vector Art 3D, and some Vcarve lettering. I plan on
using a laminated piece of pine from the lumber yard, staining it a dark walnut colour first, then carving it out. I have got some of that
MinWax wood hardener that I am going to try using on the Vector Art sections as they will be done with a 1/4" ballnose rougher and
then a 1/16" ballnose to finish, then some sanding of course. The large letters are Vcarved with a 90 deg Vbit, and the smaller letters are
done with a 60 deg Vbit. The border is a 90 deg Vbit to chamfer 'on the line' and a 1/4" up cut spiral for the cutout, with some tabs.

Pete
Attachments
Whitehorn Crescent.jpg

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Looks good sir. Don't forget to post up pics as you go. I'll be interested to see how the hardener works out.
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

That looks great, I look forward to seeing the finished sign. Cheers, James

Peter Stenabaugh
Vectric Craftsman

ok, I will do an update once this gets finished. I am also interested in trying the wood hardener. I wont get a chance to rout this for a week or so yet. I have to replace the breakout board in my power supply first. I have bought one from CNC4PC. I looks like a winner, the price is pretty good, and I am hoping it resolves a few issues I have with my steppers skipping. In addition it has the ability to handle home and limit switches, and a few more goodies that I havent figured out yet.

I will post a new photo of the finished project in a few weeks.

Pete

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

I'm using that breakout board and really like it. Lots of features and best of all it works. hehe
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)

Peter Stenabaugh
Vectric Craftsman

Jay, I may need to pick your brains for ideas on how to hook it up to get all the features it offers.

Later,

Pete

dighsx
Vectric Wizard

Post by dighsx »

Pick away but I'll warn you there ain't much to pick at.. hehe
Take it easy.
Jay (www.cncjay.com)