Guitar pick box

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
JasonDorie
Model of CNC Machine: Joes 4x4 Hybrid R&P

Guitar pick box

Post by JasonDorie »

This is a small guitar pick box I made for my father. He's played guitar my whole life, but since retiring he's started writing his own songs, playing at folk festivals, and generally having a lot of fun with it. This is modeled after the Gibson he plays when he's performing.

I used VCarve's vector trace to get an initial shape from a picture I found online. The picture was from slightly off-center, so I created a mirror of the vectors and merged them together to make it symmetrical. I used a layer for each set of cuts (top & bottom of the lid, top & bottom of the base, and the two inlays) for a total of six sets of cuts.

It's made of red oak, stained with a couple different Minwax wood stains applied with an airbrush to get the shading I was after, then a very thin coat of Minwax Polyurethane to seal it. All the inside & outside profile cuts were offset to leave an extra 0.01", after which I did a full-depth finishing pass to make sure there were no tool marks.

The inlays are mother of pearl cut from 1x1" and 1x2" blanks, held down with double-sided carpet tape. The inlay outlines and pockets were offset from each other by 0.005", and the fit is perfect. The lid is held in place with recessed magnets.

It turned out better than I expected it would.
Attachments
Outside - Inlays and engraving
Outside - Inlays and engraving
Inside
Inside
Fully assembled
Fully assembled

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Re: Guitar pick box

Post by Phil »

Cool :D :D

Phil

COBOB
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by COBOB »

Beautiful work.

jmkissell
Vectric Apprentice

Post by jmkissell »

Great gift idea, from an obviously great Son.

ScottBot
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ScottBot »

Oh man. I love that.
That is such a cool idea.

Scott

mikeacg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger, Sidewinder, SB 4x4

Post by mikeacg »

Great job and a great idea! I hope you don't mind if I borrow it for Christmas presents for my picking friends...

Len-Tikular
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home made revision 3

Post by Len-Tikular »

JasonDorie wrote:This is a small guitar pick box I made for my father. He's played guitar my whole life, but since retiring he's started writing his own songs, playing at folk festivals, and generally having a lot of fun with it. This is modeled after the Gibson he plays when he's performing.

I used VCarve's vector trace to get an initial shape from a picture I found online. The picture was from slightly off-center, so I created a mirror of the vectors and merged them together to make it symmetrical. I used a layer for each set of cuts (top & bottom of the lid, top & bottom of the base, and the two inlays) for a total of six sets of cuts.

It's made of red oak, stained with a couple different Minwax wood stains applied with an airbrush to get the shading I was after, then a very thin coat of Minwax Polyurethane to seal it. All the inside & outside profile cuts were offset to leave an extra 0.01", after which I did a full-depth finishing pass to make sure there were no tool marks.

The inlays are mother of pearl cut from 1x1" and 1x2" blanks, held down with double-sided carpet tape. The inlay outlines and pockets were offset from each other by 0.005", and the fit is perfect. The lid is held in place with recessed magnets.

It turned out better than I expected it would.
Jason, that's great, I too am singer songwriter of folk music back here in Saddleworth (near Manchester UK) We gotta keep this kind of music alive and kickin.
The pick box is great but with me just learning I wonder if you would share the crv file?
Many thanks

I'll respect your wish to keep it private of course.
Len-Tikular (A glider pilots dream cloud)

Aspire 10.5
Mach4 Hobby
Ess Smoothstepper + C11g+C10s

glenn
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: home brew 40x20

Post by glenn »

great!