Engraved scales

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
Jeff E.
Vectric Apprentice

Engraved scales

Post by Jeff E. »

Two different scales I experimetned with - one cut on a and old piece of flooring laminate, the other on a piece of aluminum that is used to index a cutter grinder. The floor laminate scale is a little less than 5 inches in diameter - cut with .029 diameter 90 degree v-bit. Total depth of cuts range between .004 and .006 inches. I created both using Adobe Illustrator. The pictures actaully don't do the quality of the carving justice. They both turned out wonderfully - great software.
Attachments
scale2.jpg
(846.42 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
scale1.jpg
(725.31 KiB) Downloaded 444 times

hbhbbb

Post by hbhbbb »

Hi Jeff,

Nice engraving!

Was the second scale engraved on a rotary axis?

What CNC machine are you running?

G.

Jeff E.
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Jeff E. »

G.

The cutter grinder index was cut with a pseudo 4th axis - a Sherline rotary table with a stepper motor and separate controller. I drew each number pair and the associated reference mark as individual images then joined them together after post processing and inserted a pause (M00 - rather than the M30) between each pair. I then had to only hit a button to index the table - better than manual, but still time consuming. After I engraved the number pairs I came back and indexed each degree mark individually - again very time consuming. The floor laminate required no intervention on my part. My CBC software is Mach3 by ArtSoft - I have used his software for about 5 years - great stuff - great price. The mill is homemade - from precision slides I got for price of digging them out of a dumpster. (I hope this reply goes in the right spot - no to familiar with the forum format yet.)

Jeff E.