Beard Comb

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
mrmfwilson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Arty 36

Beard Comb

Post by mrmfwilson »

I made 32 of these for the Bearded Savant here in Austin. I made two versions. A Texas Redbud handle with a spalted Pecan comb and another with spalted Pecan handle and a Ipe comb. Fun project. I started with a picture of a comb that they were having made by hand. I used the picture to scale the comb and trace the outline. I used the molding tool path for the rounding of the handle and the fluting tool path for the comb angle and cutting the tines. The logo is cut with a 1/32” ball nose. It is a four step process. First I cut the comb insert blanks. Then I cut the comb insert hole out of the blanks I will use to cut the final combs from. I then glue the insert into the blanks. Then I am ready to put the blanks on the CNC and cut out both sides. That may be five steps. They love them!!
Attachments
ACDDD93A-1005-4DB6-9431-05AE7F52D774.jpeg
Mr. Wilson
CenterLine Designs
Facebook - Centerline Designs

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Re: Beard Comb

Post by scotttarnor »

Nice work !
Scott T

@scottscnc

wilkigr
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Sienci Long Mill

Post by wilkigr »

They look great! Just curious, do you do the comb "teeth" as a separate insert to get the grain direction running along the teeth and opposite to the grain direction of the comb "handle"?

mrmfwilson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Arty 36

Post by mrmfwilson »

wilkigr wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:01 pm
They look great! Just curious, do you do the comb "teeth" as a separate insert to get the grain direction running along the teeth and opposite to the grain direction of the comb "handle"?
Yes that is correct. The teeth are stronger when cut with the grain. I can also use smaller pieces, width wise, of wood by making them this way.
Mr. Wilson
CenterLine Designs
Facebook - Centerline Designs