Young Sleeping Angel in Maple

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
BillK
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro Plus

Re: Young Sleeping Angel in Maple

Post by BillK »

Scott,

I think that will look great. That’s a beautiful piece of wood.

What ratio do you use for your Linwax? I’d like to cook some up.

Have a good one!
BillK
https://www.facebook.com/CarvingsByKurtz

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

I've been using Earthpaint polymerized Linseed for 5 years and Highly recommend it.
https://www.earthpaint.net/zero-voc-non ... inish.html
JUST finished the last of a 2017 batch of Linwax and it was still good....gallon bought the same year I'm using now.
I found consistency you want for stiff brushing application on 3Ds is roughly 80/20 (oil/beeswax a lot depends on the beeswax though...double strained is best).
Should be consistency of about vanilla pudding once you've pressed your finger into it.
DID start with Tung, but just gelled too quickly when we had 2 people finishing buttons and open almost all day.

First coat heavy with a stiffer brush, and after that just just light coats by spreading a dab on something like a palette or smooth scrap, and wet a brush like this;
https://www.amazon.com/STAR-Professiona ... 1595&psc=1
for very light coats.
Always remove all mix excess with that brush...It's my favorite....and wipe brush off on another piece, or a towel or such.

ALL drying oils generate heat as they dry....spread paper towels, or rags out to dry! DON"T crumple up and throw in trash!
I burn mine afterwards,,but some use a pail of water to store them until trash day.

I know you know this Bill, but mentioning to others using oils for first time.
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

BillK
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro Plus

Post by BillK »

Thanks for all that info on the Linwax. I will put it to good use.

You’re not kidding on the oil rags. I used a small part (10%) of a large T-shirt to apply the danish oil to my workbench. After each coat I wrapped the rag in a single piece of newspaper and lit it on fire in my woodstove. It burned like a torch for 10+ solid minutes. Spontaneous combustion is no joke, you have to be well aware and not leave that for “later”. Great advice.
BillK
https://www.facebook.com/CarvingsByKurtz

Coogara
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Desktop

Post by Coogara »

Gorgeous work again, Scott. Your patience is second only to the Queen's! But she has rather more to deal with.

So, price tag on this one, with all the work... $2-3K I'd guess. Looking forward to the next one.
Graeme Chandler (Australia)
ShopBot Desktop
Aspire 8

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Sometimes it takes a while, but eventually the true owner is found. :)
Going to a medical professional who REALLY cares about people.

She's expecting her own young angel very shortly, so made sense that Her angel....had a Guardian Angel. :) :)
She LOVED it :) :) :)

It's had I don't know how many coats of linseed/beeswax on it since then, but it looks Good:)
Her Angel will be a girl, so my angel must have been waiting for her.

The look on a person's face.....worth all the trouble and time in the world!!

scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Scott your work is amazing!
An Angle for an Angle is perfect, it was meant to be.

For those who have never seen Scott's work in person or more to the point, been able to hold and feel them, you are really missing out. I liken it to touching "wooden silk". His finish work is second to none.
John
Maker of Chips

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

There are Artists who use brushes ---- Scott uses a CNC machine and many different bits with Patience and Precision!!!

Just a thought/opinion!!! :D

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Ha!! :)
If I ever need a press agent....I'll give you two a call!

Supposedly her first day of maternity leave was yesterday, and I used the thread title to sign the back so she could find this thread.
Your comments will be good for "It's just a chunk of poor firewood" people her Angel encounters. :)

Funny...when I had my first appt., I tucked a small carving(Raccoon?) and an Opal in my shirt pocket.
And then showed them to her saying "My Quality of Life goes down when I can't cut" and got a "That's Nice" for the pieces,
BUT when she peeled the tissue off this one she said "I was HOPING it would be one of your carvings! :) " :) :)
Very nice to know that stuff you make will outlast yourself!! :) :)

Like Paul Zank wrote to me once...."There are worse things to be remembered for!" :) :)
Thanks for the comments!
Got a good smile from me as well!!
scott

Now just to carve the the rest of that blow down Sugar Maple(I've only cut 3 pieces).
9.3.2019 MAPLE BLOWDOWN CUTS.jpg
R.N.