An old favorite made with a CNC

An area to upload images of pieces cut using VCarve Pro
zaxis
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4 V5 Pro

An old favorite made with a CNC

Post by zaxis »

[/attachment]Hello everyone, I thought I would share an old woodworking favorite project called the "band saw box" only made with your CNC. The case and the drawers are made by cutting layers out of 3/4" material until you have the desired depth. Drawers are done in the same fashion. I like to make the drawer fronts out of a different species to enhance the look but the sky is the limit for design. I make case backs out of 1/4" material, drawer fronts are 3/8 ". VCarve makes the design process easy, and programming in 1/8" dowel holes for registering and lining up the glue joints, works great. A small box design like these is much more difficult on a saw because it is dangerous for your fingers :shock: . The fit and finish is not as nice either, so it's a good fit for CNC work in the wood shop. They are a hit for storing small jewelry. Give one a try!! :D
Attachments
IMG_4004.jpeg
IMG_3947.jpeg
IMG_3950.jpeg

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Re: An old favorite made with a CNC

Post by Leo »

Very cool indeed.

I have made band saw boxes - ON - my bandsaw before.

I can see some very good benefits to making then on a CNC machine.

I will add that to my todo list.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

bravesoul1950
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Post by bravesoul1950 »

Any chance you would be willing to share your file, would love to give this a try. Any modifications that I make would be shared...

Joe

TomWS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: OB Lead 1010, Mach3; OB C-Beam 1060 grbl

Post by TomWS »

What a clever idea! I have a book on bandsaw boxes that I haven't opened in years! This idea just might bring that old book back to life!

Thanks!

h9vq9
Model of CNC Machine: bridgeport

Post by h9vq9 »

Nice job on the boxes I have done several bandsaw boxes that way they always turn out very nice.

zaxis
Vectric Craftsman

Post by zaxis »

bravesoul1950 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:34 pm
Any chance you would be willing to share your file, would love to give this a try. Any modifications that I make would be shared...

Joe
Here is one of them warts and all :D :D
Bouquet BS Box.crv
(2.29 MiB) Downloaded 197 times

sobfu
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: China CNCZOne 6040 4 axis

Post by sobfu »

Thanks for sharing, I don't have room for a band saw but I should be able to make one on my small CNC . I showed my wife the picture and she loved the boxes so I will definitely make one for her. I think you aright about the different tones of the wood,

bravesoul1950
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Post by bravesoul1950 »

Thanks for the files, very much appreciated.

Joe

jimwill2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CaMaster Stinger w/recoil, FTC

Post by jimwill2 »

Very nice work!! Thanks for sharing.
Jim Williams

jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Post by jfederer »

Here's my version, just finished cleaning up. I looked at the original file quite a while, then designed my own from scratch. That was a mistake. Several lessons learned:

- this is not a trivial project. Yes, it's safer on CNC than on bandsaw, but it's still lots of small fiddly parts.
- Glue-up needs to be well planned. I found myself rushing back and forth because I hadn't done a dry run. It looked so easy...
- doing a simple "offset" for the drawers doesn't work. It changes the shape and the resulting nesting is cr... er.... poor
- Design the inner curves to be a greater radius than your intended sander spindle.
- considering how long the first one took, I may have to find something else to make for Christmas presents.

After all those "lessons learned", the positives are:

- I like my design. There's a secret compartment (just visible as a dark area inside the upper drawer)
- I decided to make it double ended with push-through drawers. Simpler, and I think makes it unique.
- with a clean offset this would make a really nice piston-fit keepsake. Maybe the next one!
Attachments
BSB.jpg
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

zaxis
Vectric Craftsman

Post by zaxis »

Thanks for your feedback. Your finished box looks great. I know what you mean about it not being a real easy project. My first one was a learning experience also. I do a lot of my sanding with a Fordom or a Dremel tool. I did find that adding 1/8" alignment pins solve the glue issue and I only did two pieces at a time then glued those together. It took very little cleanup with a Dremel on each piece on the inside. I rely on the router bit to give me a pretty smooth cut to start with ....depends on the wood species. After doing a few the process got a lot easier. I did about a 1/64 offset in the drawing for the drawers and by the time they were sanded a little they were about right. the drawers are easier to glue than the case and did not require pins, just cant glue all the pieces at once. The result at the end makes the process worthwhile as the finished product looks great. I use my cnc along with other power tools in my wood shop to do my projects. If you are limited to what other tools you have available then the sanding can be pretty boring. I use a flapwheel on my drill press a lot for things like these. My spindle sander is not to useful on the inside of these small boxes. Anyway thanks for giving it a try the next one will be easier. :D :D

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Nice self-critique Joe!
Liking the design of "Proto 1"! :)
Like zaxis said, a Learning Experience. :)
I'm sure your brain has already been working on design "Tweaks" :)

"It looked so easy..." That's usually a "Warning Will Robinson!" moment for me to reappraise! :D
I think your proto is Definitely worth refining the sanding/gluing routine Joe!! :)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

jfederer
Vectric Wizard

Post by jfederer »

Scott, you're right. V2 (actually labelled V3, V1 was a rough sketch)is almost ready for generating GCode. Just a couple of minor tweaks that came to me in the night. So by end of today I should have a better example to post.

Glad you didn't think it was a "Danger, Will Robinson" situation! Did you see that one of his costumes sold for almost $100k recently? https://newatlas.com/collectibles/marty ... apon-ever/
Joe Federer

www.federer.ca

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Figured you'd be working on "New Improved" model Joe! :) :)
Good luck cutting/gluing/sanding V3 Joe!

Wow...funny how Hokey that show seems now. :oops:
Special effects have really changed sci-fi movies!!

Happy cutting!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

jfederer
Vectric Wizard

Post by jfederer »

Second attempt worked out much better. This time I did a "Resize", by a fraction of a millimetre. It's the sanding that threw things off, even though I tried to do all sides consistently. But by the time all the tool witness marks were gone, things were slightly loose on 2 of the drawers. I didn't remember to do a final pass, that should have taken care of the problem. Original on left, second version on right.

In any case, this one is good enough to give away. Thanks zaxis for the idea and file.
BSB2.jpg
Joe Federer

www.federer.ca