Line in rounding gadget

This section is for general discussion about Gadgets
hmatyas
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3

Line in rounding gadget

Post by hmatyas »

I was running my 4th axis rounding gadget and noticed a line basically by where the a axis equals zero. Every time the router moved in the x axis direction, there was a line. I then checked Vectric's simulation which also showed a line. (The red arrow for the x axis highlights it!)
Is this supposed to occur because basically you are just roughing out the piece of wood or am I missing something?
I have attached pictures of the piece of wood and a screen shot of the simulation. I drew a line to make it easier to see on the piece of wood.

Thank you in advance.
Harvey
Attachments
RoundingGadgetLine.jpg
DSCN2871.JPG

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

Re: Line in rounding gadget

Post by jimandi5000 »

hmatyas wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:05 pm
I was running my 4th axis rounding gadget and noticed a line basically by where the a axis equals zero. Every time the router moved in the x axis direction, there was a line. I then checked Vectric's simulation which also showed a line. (The red arrow for the x axis highlights it!)
Is this supposed to occur because basically you are just roughing out the piece of wood or am I missing something?
I have attached pictures of the piece of wood and a screen shot of the simulation. I drew a line to make it easier to see on the piece of wood.

Thank you in advance.
Harvey
Hi Harvey,

After looking at your pictures and further contemplation, and assuming you're using a flat end mill. I believe it is your stepper count for your A axis.

Try this. Place a square or round stock of material (as large as you can accommodate in the fourth axis) in your fourth axis. Place mark on material and a pointer that is mounted to your table (something that will move). Enter this Gcode in your controller G01 A3600 F100 . This will result in the stock turning 10 times around which will multiply any error you have by 10 times now check your pointer to the mark you made and determine how accurate your a axis is operating. If you see a significant difference you need to adjust the number of steps for your A axis.

I hope this helps.
Thanks,
Jim