Box Creator Final Cut Height Wrong

This section is for general discussion about Gadgets
Burnside
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre

Box Creator Final Cut Height Wrong

Post by Burnside »

Been using the box creator, which is cool, but I've noticed the final height is off by a certain amount. With 1/2" material (Z) it is shorter by 1/4" and with 1" material it is shorter by 1/2" and it scales accordingly for anything in between. The width and depth are exact. It also does not seem to be a function of the bit used, lid or no lid, only the material thickness. It's easy enough to compensate, but odd. Anyone else seeing this?

As a side note, this would be so much more useful if you could have the option "no bottom" rather than have to node edit and remove bottom tabs.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Box Creator Final Cut Height Wrong

Post by adze_cnc »

I’ve posted on this elsewhere: the gadget is subtracting half the lid thickness even if you tell it the box has no lid.

For now compensating by adding that amount to the height is the way to go until the gadget code is modified to respect the no lid option.

Burnside
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre

Post by Burnside »

Thanks, that makes sense. I created a lid and now I see where that magic number is coming from. Just glad it wasn’t me :). I did try a search first but too many “box gadget” posts and I didn’t see it.

Overall the gadget is great, just a shame a few features keep it from being a valuable tool to cabinet making.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Have you considered trying the Easy Tray Maker Gadget for creating your boxes???

Granted this Gadget creates all parts for the box but the user can delete what is not needed.

This gadget also has several bottom styles and joint styles to choose from too which is a Plus!!!

There is a statement from Vectric on one of the other threads that the Box Creator Gadget was just a promotional gadget for advertising the capabilities of their software using gadgets and that the gadget was not meant to be a full blown completed gadget. But they did also say that it was on their list of things to do to get it completely functional but was not a Top Priority Item.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554