Box Creator issue

This section is for general discussion about Gadgets
sjetton
Model of CNC Machine: Longmill 30X30

Box Creator issue

Post by sjetton »

I'm having an issue with the box creator not compensating for the thickness of the bit it seems.

VCarve Pro 11
Box Creator Version 1.4
Width: 11.768
Depth: 7.723
Height: 6
Joint Width: 0.5
Allowance: 0.005
Square Tabs
1/8 end mill
But as you can see in the photos the gap is huge between the tabs. The gap is 1/4inch which is two 1/8bits which makes me thing it's not creating the box with the bit width in mind. Any idea what is going wrong?
Attachments
box.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Box Creator issue

Post by Adrian »

To be honest it looks as I would expect from the picture and I did a test box to your settings and it all measures correctly. Why are you expecting the gap between the tabs to be smaller? If the gaps were smaller the tabs from the other parts wouldn't fit.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Now I'm looking at the picture on a big screen rather than on the phone I can see that the gaps do look bigger than I would expect. Given that they aren't that size when generated from the gadget I would suspect something outside of it.

Did you change the toolpath at all? The gadget works in an odd way that it uses two sets of vectors and only one is used for the toolpath. If you changed the toolpath to be inside/outside or used the wrong vectors I can see it creating a cut out like that.

If that's not it could you attach the actual file so the settings etc can be looked at?

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Different poster but by the sounds of it same dilemma: gaps too big

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Make sure that the "Cut out" toolpath is showing the correct vectors (the outermost vector of each box component) when calculating toolpath. Also make sure that the toolpath is set to machine vectors "ON' the vectors. This is especially true if by chance box component vectors were moved or re-arranged within the material boundaries.

Just a thought!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554