Box Creator allowance for tabs

This section is for general discussion about Gadgets
Gundogt3r4
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity Woodworker X50

Box Creator allowance for tabs

Post by Gundogt3r4 »

I am prepping to make my first box using Box Creator. I am new to the forum. I have two questions:
1.) Do I enter my ALLOWANCE at the Box Maker Gadget Set Page AND at my Toolpaths page?....or only at the Set Up page in Box Creator?
2.) In making a box with TABS, should the Toolpath be ON the vector or outside or inside the vector?
THANKS

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Box Creator allowance for tabs

Post by Adrian »

The gadget creates the toolpaths for you. You don't need to change anything in them.

Gundogt3r4
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity Woodworker X50

Post by Gundogt3r4 »

Thanks Adrian

Gundawg
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre IS 510/Trak Bed Mill/Sharp VMC

Post by Gundawg »

I am getting ready to make drawer boxes. I am using undermount Blum type drawer slides. Has anyone ever done this? I have a few specific questions my material is 1/2" but measures .465" with my caliper. Should the allowance be a + number or a negative number to allow for a good fit? I have entered my material thickness in the set up page as what it is .465".

Usually with this type drawer box the bottom of the drawer is inset and not flush with the bottom of the drawer so I am wondering if I should not make the drawer boxes this way??

Is it ok to rotate and nest the box parts and re tool path everything? I am making 3 different size drawer boxes only the side height changes everything else stays the same. When I create the boxes it has the sides orientated wrong for the grain direction. I am nesting a full 4' x 8' sheet of plywood.

I notice when you create the box it has 2 vectors if I recalculate the tool paths after rotating the parts which vector do I select to tool path?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

If you're using the square (finger) joint option then you can move the parts around and/or nest them. If you're using the dovetail option then you can't move them as the toolpath can't be recalculated.

If you need to reselect vectors for the toolpath then it's the outer one of the two. You shouldn't need to reselect if you're just rotating and moving though, just press the Recalculate All button.