Does anyone create bespoke gadgets?

This section is for general discussion about Gadgets
engravingstudios
Model of CNC Machine: Various cnc engravers

Does anyone create bespoke gadgets?

Post by engravingstudios »

Hello all, sorry if this isn't allowed, or has already been asked; Is there any clever bods that create gadgets for other users as a chargeable service?

I have some requirements but don't have the faintest idea where to start trying to create our own!

Kind regards, Andy

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Does anyone create bespoke gadgets?

Post by Adrian »

What is it you want to do? You'd be surprised how many requests for gadgets I've seen or received directly that were actually something that could be done in the existing software with a couple of automations steps etc.

I don't write gadgets other than for myself anymore but there are at least three regulars who do though so if it is something that needs a gadget I'm sure someone will be able to help.

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

Post by jimandi5000 »

engravingstudios wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:14 pm
Hello all, sorry if this isn't allowed, or has already been asked; Is there any clever bods that create gadgets for other users as a chargeable service?

I have some requirements but don't have the faintest idea where to start trying to create our own!

Kind regards, Andy
Hi Andy,
I would be happy to write you a gadget at the great low price of zero dollars! Just tell me what you want.
Thanks,
Jim

engravingstudios

Hi guys, thanks for the replies - I'll try my best to explain the requirement;

Imagine an outer shape, let's call it the "container", within this container are multiple other objects - some will be on layer "1" for example, others on layer "2", layer "3" and so on but all within the outer container.

I'd like the gadget to be able to analyse a whole vcarve file which might have hundreds of these containers per sheet. I want it to group all the objects together per layer but per container, so all the objects on layer "1" in the first container will be grouped together, same with the objects on layer "2". At the end of the process I'd have the same sheet with hundreds of containers still but each having its own grouped objects.

Then I'd want to automatically move certain layers to the "back" of the sheet for double sided nesting.

I guess in a dream scenario there would be a dialogue box where I can select defaults of which layers are the "containers" and which are the layers I'd want to group within the container before selecting which layers would be on the back of the sheet.

Hope this makes some sort of sense! -The gadget is needed as many of the objects are overlapping and vcarve seems to lose them when nesting up - we're having to group manually which is quite time consuming

Kind regards, Andy

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

Post by jimandi5000 »

engravingstudios wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:05 pm
Hi guys, thanks for the replies - I'll try my best to explain the requirement;

Imagine an outer shape, let's call it the "container", within this container are multiple other objects - some will be on layer "1" for example, others on layer "2", layer "3" and so on but all within the outer container.

I'd like the gadget to be able to analyse a whole vcarve file which might have hundreds of these containers per sheet. I want it to group all the objects together per layer but per container, so all the objects on layer "1" in the first container will be grouped together, same with the objects on layer "2". At the end of the process I'd have the same sheet with hundreds of containers still but each having its own grouped objects.

Then I'd want to automatically move certain layers to the "back" of the sheet for double sided nesting.

I guess in a dream scenario there would be a dialogue box where I can select defaults of which layers are the "containers" and which are the layers I'd want to group within the container before selecting which layers would be on the back of the sheet.

Hope this makes some sort of sense! -The gadget is needed as many of the objects are overlapping and vcarve seems to lose them when nesting up - we're having to group manually which is quite time consuming

Kind regards, Andy
Sounds like a fun project.
Thanks,
Jim

engravingstudios

Do you dislike me already Jim :wink: