Box Maker Gadgets and individual sides

This section is for general discussion about Gadgets
dbchamber
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Plus

Box Maker Gadgets and individual sides

Post by dbchamber »

I am running Aspire V11.

I am trying to use the Box Maker Gadget to make individual sides, ends, and bottoms. The directions say that the toolpaths go on individual layers.

I create Side 1 and get a good toolpath. I names that toolpath Side1.

I then click on End1 and try to create a new toolpath but the resulting toolpath is a conglomeration of Side1 and End1 with overlapping vectors.

I have tried renaming Layer Box and Layer CutOut to Side1 and Side1 Cutout but I still get a mishmash if overlaid vectors and toolpaths.

Can anyone figure out what additional steps I need to take?

Thanks
Dave C

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Box Maker Gadgets and individual sides

Post by Adrian »

Do you mean the Box Creator gadget?

If it is that one I'm not sure where you read that the toolpaths go on individual layers as it doesn't work like that.

If you're using the dovetail option then you can't move the toolpaths from where they are created. With the box joint (square tabs) option you can move the vectors to wherever you want and recalculate the toolpaths as you would with any job.

Why are you trying to create all the parts separately rather than laying them all out at once? If it's because you don't have a piece of material big enough then create the parts that will fit in one go.

dbchamber
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Plus

Post by dbchamber »

The How to use the Box Creator directions say "With this in mind (the toolpath being nonmoveable) if you are using a smaller CNC machine, it is possible to select individual sides of the box by ticking the selection required. This enables the user to maximize the sizer of the box required by placing the toolpaths on individual layers..."

I am trying to make a box. My machine is 51" X 53". If the box is 36" wide and 22" high. there is not enough room on my machine to make all 5 parts on one piece. I have tried manually renaming the layers as I go but the gadget just overwrites the toolpath info even though the layer has been renamed.

Thanks

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Yes but it's the user that places the sides of the boxes on individual layers not the gadget itself.

For example you could, if you were cutting just the bottom part, select the vectors and move to a layer called Bottom. You could then rename the toolpath to Bottom-CutOut and Bottom Dovetail.

I'm still not sure what that is going to gain you though as you can't move the dovetail toolpaths created by that gadget. If you create the parts individually they will occupy the same space which won't work if you can fit more than one part on a board.