Box gadget for only 4 sides

This section is for general discussion about Gadgets
Mike1889
Model of CNC Machine: New Carve CNC

Box gadget for only 4 sides

Post by Mike1889 »

I am trying to run the Box Gadget and only make 4 sides, no top or bottom, for a drawer that I will be putting a grove in for a 1/4" piece of plywood for the bottom. I have 4 sides selected but it still puts the dovetails in as if there was going to be a bottom, is there a workaround for this ? Thank you!! Mike :roll:

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Box gadget for only 4 sides

Post by Adrian »

It always puts all the joints in regardless of what you select as the selection is for which part of the box you want to create at that stage. You might only have material big enough to create one or two parts at a time. It's always creating parts for a box though.

For what you want to do you would be better off with the Dovetail gadget as you can specify exactly where you want the joints to be as it's not pre-programmed to makes boxes - https://gadgets.vectric.com/V11/dovetail

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Re: Box gadget for only 4 sides

Post by sharkcutup »

I believe this gadget will work for the particular use that you are requiring:

viewtopic.php?p=249608#p249608

Of course this gadget creates 1 of each (side, end, lid, and bottom) on its own layer so you will have to copy, duplicate, and paste to get them all together on the same material Sheet.
Screenshot 2021-12-21 070633.png
Or you could continue to use the same gadget you are using (Box Creator) and just node edit the bottoms of each side removing the bottom dovetails and add a groove a certain distance from the bottom for the bottom panel. Be sure to recalculate the toolpaths after your editing of the bottoms of the sides.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004