box gadget missing cut out (dogbone / fillet)

This section is for general discussion about Gadgets
andy20
Model of CNC Machine: workbee

box gadget missing cut out (dogbone / fillet)

Post by andy20 »

Hi,

please excuse the newby to the world of gadgets
Vcarve pro V11

i have created my 1st box using the gadget but it does not have the bog bone / fillet on the end product
I can see it on the tool path in the drawing

also is the toolpath on the line? when i do this there is a very sloppy joint, compare to outside the line which fits perfectly

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

Re: box gadget missing cut out (dogbone / fillet)

Post by jimandi5000 »

andy20 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:01 pm
Hi,

please excuse the newby to the world of gadgets
Vcarve pro V11

i have created my 1st box using the gadget but it does not have the bog bone / fillet on the end product
I can see it on the tool path in the drawing

also is the toolpath on the line? when i do this there is a very sloppy joint, compare to outside the line which fits perfectly
Hi Andy,

Can you post a copy of your CRV file of the box? We need the details to see what is going on.
Thanks,
Jim

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Which box gadget are you using? There are several of them around.

The Box Creator gadget on the Vectric site doesn't create dogbone fillets so if's that one you're using I'm not sure where you are seeing them. You can add them using the fillet tool and then recalculating the toolpath.

It also creates the toolpath in a quite unusual way as it creates two sets of vectors. It creates a vector that looks like the toolpath itself but is actually a vector used to create an "on the vector" profile toolpath rather than creating a vector on the outside using the other vector as would be the more usual case.

andy20

Post by andy20 »

Hi Many thanks for the replies, yes it is the standard box creator gadget from the Vectric site , I have enclosed the file and also a zoomed in copy of what I had thought would have been the dog bone

Andy
Attachments
small box.crv
(626 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
dogbone.JPG

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Yes those are dog bones. I've never noticed them before when looking at files created by that gadget due to the odd way it creates them. They don't seem to be anything like the correct size to me as the dogbone they create is nothing like I would create if I was doing it.

However I know plenty of people use that gadget without problems so it must be just a matter of playing around with the Allowance field until you get a good fit.

I'm not totally convinced that there isn't something off when using metric/imperial settings together though as the dogbones seem a lot better and more like I would expect when an imperial job is created and adjusting the units accordingly.

EDIT: After a bit of experimenting that would seem to be the problem. If you create two identical boxes using metric values in a metric job but create one with a 1/16" bit and one with a 1.5875mm bit then you get different dogbones. It would seem the gadget doesn't like mixed units.

andy20

Post by andy20 »

that is incredible, i would never have found that in a million years, thank you for your help, it is really appreciated. I will have a play with your suggestions

andy20

Post by andy20 »

had another go using the metric 1/16 mill and still no dogbanes also the fingers are not the same size, the 'gaps' are different sizes to the 'fingers'
Attachments
IMG_1924.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

See the attached file. Both vectors are bottoms created with the gadget. The only difference is the top one used metric tool values and the bottom one used imperial values. You can see that the bottom one isn't formed properly as the toolpath vector is too close and the dogbones are too short whereas the top one is correct.

If you turn on the solid toolpath preview in the top toolbar you can clearly see the blue outline of the metric dogbones.

I don't know why you're not seeing the same results but that's what I get.
Metric.jpg
Imperial.jpg
Attachments
Dogbones.crv
(798.5 KiB) Downloaded 72 times

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

andy20 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:30 pm
the metric 1/16 mill and still no dogbanes
Not too sure what a 1/16 metric mill is. The first attached image was created using the gadget with an end mill entered into the tool database as in the second image ( 1/16" is 0.0625 in decimal ; this times 25.4mm per inch gives 1.5875mm ).
box gadget 1.png
box gadget 2.png

andy20

Post by andy20 »

sorry the metric 1/16 is your 1.5875, when i load your file i can see the dog bones but still not on mine

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

andy20 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:09 pm
sorry the metric 1/16 is your 1.5875, when i load your file i can see the dog bones but still not on mine
Can you attach your file? You are re-running the gadget and selecting the metric tool there? You can't change the toolpath itself, you need to run the gadget so that the vector it creates the toolpath from reflects the metric tool.

andy20

Post by andy20 »

how do you change the default tool selection - each time i re run it is selecting the old 1/16th?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

andy20 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:24 pm
how do you change the default tool selection - each time i re run it is selecting the old 1/16th?
Click Select Tool on the gadget form.

Note that you can't change an existing box or toolpath. You have to delete both and start from scratch.

andy20

Post by andy20 »

Hi,

i have just made a perfect box with fillets! Thank you for all your help, it is amazing that Metric and imperial could cause so much trouble.

i would never have thought of the fix, so again thank you

Andy

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Threw me for a while as well as I've never come across a metric/imperial issue like that. The software itself lets you mix units as much as you like. I use imperial tools with metric jobs all the time but that gadget doesn't like it at all. Hopefully Vectric will issue an update to it at some point. I've reported it as an issue.