Box Maker

This section is for general discussion about Gadgets
edbradley
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom

Box Maker

Post by edbradley »

I am interested in making a 4 sided box. Dovetail joints on the sides only. I would dado the inside for a flat plywood bottom, then make some type of hinged top. Problem is the box maker wants to make joints on three sides of the sides, each side and the bottom. what do i need to do to eliminate the joints for the bottom?

thanks
ed bradley

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Box Maker

Post by Adrian »

Simplest way would be to use the dovetail gadget rather than the box making gadget and then you have total control of where the dovetails are.

edbradley

Post by edbradley »

? When I try to make a box with dove tails, it makes them on 3 sides of the sides. and 4 sides of the bottom.
what am i doing wrong?
thanks

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

You're doing nothing wrong. That's how it works. You can't remove them with the gadget as it's a special toolpath that can't be recalculated when the vectors change.

If you were using the box joints you could edit the vectors to make those edges smooth and recalculate the toolpaths. That's not an option with the dovetails.

As I said the easiest way is to download the Dovetail gadget. That way you can draw your own boxes and put the dovetails wherever you like.

edbradley

Post by edbradley »

I have tried to load the dovetail gadget. When it asks me to selected what I want to download the field is blank??
See attached
Suggestions?
Thanks
Ed
Attachments
dovetail.JPG

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Which version of the Vectric software are you using?

Are you downloading directly from the gadgets.vectric.com site or have you got there from a web search? It looks from your screenshot that you're on the pre-v10 page as the text doesn't match the current version.

edbradley

Post by edbradley »

VCrave Pro 10.505

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

You're on the wrong page as I say. The text on your screenshot doesn't match the text on the v10 download page.

I didn't think about it at the time but the install screenshot you showed is for earlier versions of the software that used installer programs. The current versions use vgadget files instead.

It's always best to go directly to the https://gadgets.vectric.com to download gadgets so you avoid out of date links in web searches and posts on forums/YouTube.