This section is for general discussion about Gadgets
cusoak
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3D XXL

Box gadget wont load

Post by cusoak »

Trying to load box creator gadget
into vcarve pro 10.515
Download it double left click to install it agree and then it says it ready to use open up a file click on box and this is the error message I get
Capture.JPG
What am I doing wrong had no trouble loading on my house laptop
Jeff

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Box gadget wont load

Post by Adrian »

You've installed the wrong version. You will get that error if you try to install the v9 version in v10.

Download from this link to ensure you are getting V10 gadgets - https://gadgets.vectric.com/V10/library.html

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Post by GEdward »

Sorry Adrian but I went to the site, https://gadgets.vectric.com/V10/library.html, and I still can't get the gear maker gadget to work. The download is a zip file that does not contain an exe component. The only compatible gadget I can find for V10 is the texture tool path gadget and it downloaded and installed immediately. I am interested in experimenting with clock work gears and the gear maker gadget would allow me to work within V Carve without having to generate gears in another program, importing them and finding out that I need to tweek them and end up starting over in the "other" program.

On a different note, I know there is a request section for gadgets but as long as I'm here, I would like a gadget to map surfaces to compensate for variations on the surface of a project piece. I ran into an issue v carving some designs and wording on pre-finished cabinet doors Although they appeared flat, they were not. The option to machine them flat was not acceptable since it would have been impossible to duplicate the original finish.. I know there are programs out there that will allow me to do that but a gadget built into the V Carve software would be so much handier.

Ed

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

It should be downloading a vgadget file not a zip file. Older browsers will download a vgadget file as a zip though. You can either use a more modern browser or rename the zip file to be a vgadget file in which case it will install by double clicking or via the Install Gadget menu option on the Gadgets menu.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

GEdward wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:38 pm
...gear maker gadget to work. The download is a zip file that does not contain an exe component.
The file at the link should download as "Gear_Maker_Gadget_Install.vgadget". It really is a ZIP file but with a different extension.

I suspect your web browser is saving it as "Gear_Maker_Gadget_Install.zip". If so, just rename it "Gear_Maker_Gadget_Install.vgadget" (or try another browser).

The important thing is that once the file has a .vgadget extension installation is done within Aspire/VCarve using the Gadgets > Install New Gadget... menu item. It is not installed by "double-clicking" in Windows Explorer

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman

Post by GEdward »

Yes, that works. Thanks

Any thoughts on the surface map compensation gadget idea?

Again, Thanks.
Ed

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

You would need to 3D scan the uneven surface and create a model from it to import and use with the v-carve toolpath set to project onto the surface. It's not something a gadget is capable of doing apart from the parts that already exist in the software already (3D model import and v-carve toolpath on a 3D surface) so there wouldn't be a need to create a gadget for that.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

GEdward wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:38 pm
I ran into an issue v carving some designs and wording on pre-finished cabinet doors Although they appeared flat, they were not.
Shims?

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman

Post by GEdward »

Shims are not the solution when the surface is not flat. I am thinking of getting the results produced by products like http://www.scorchworks.com/Gcoderipper/gcoderipper.html or https://www.autoleveller.co.uk/. What I envision would be a utility that would produce a user defined point cloud using a probe routine and then tying those points with a linear interpolation to form a basis to project the toolpath to. It would be a way, in effect, to bypass Adrian's solution to use an independent 3D scan and import it as a model.

One caveat is that VCarve does not have the ability to generate a model but Aspire does. I would think that it wouldn't be a huge leap for Aspire to have such capability.

Ed

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Does your control software have the ability to map the surface with a probe? Mine does and I know the other more "traditional" programs do. The latest GRBL type systems seem quite basic in the routines they have.

One thing to bear in mind is that probing is incredibly slow. When I bought mine I thought I would use it all the time but it takes hours to map even a small piece. Accurately mapping an undulating surface the size of a cabinet door would take some serious time.

I use a local 3D scanning service now when I need something mapped. One day I will invest in a decent 3D scanner but the amount of times I need one at the moment wouldn't justify the current cost.