gadgets failed to extract

This section is for general discussion about Gadgets
raye321
Model of CNC Machine: Digital Carver

gadgets failed to extract

Post by raye321 »

Hi, I'm trying to install the camfer tool into gadgets. I downloaded the tool on the gadgets website then cut it into drive c opened users public public documents vectric files gadgets then opened vcarve 9.5. and it shows file is empty or a window comes up gadgets failed to extract. I dont know what I'm doing wrong. I have windows 10 chrome browser. I also tried it with internet explorer.

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: gadgets failed to extract

Post by gkas »

Where did you get the gadget? It can be v9 or V10. Which download?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You don't need to open the file. When you download it you should have a file called Chamfer_Gadget_Install.vgadget (depending on your windows settings you might not see the .vgadget part). You double click that file to automatically install or you run Cut2D/VCarve/Aspire and use the Install Gadgets link on the Gadgets menu whichever you prefer.

If you are doing the above and getting an error then the most likely cause is the download didn't complete or failed. Download and try again. If you don't delete the failed file then the new file will have a number as part of the name to signify it's a different file.

Note that gadgets are not available in the Desktop versions of Cut2D and VCarve.

raye321

Post by raye321 »

I opened the 9.5 software like I would to do a project, clicked on gadgets, about gadgets then gadgets.vectric.com. on that page I clicked on gadget library to camfer 1.3 version and downloaded it. Not sure what you mean by desktop version of vcarve?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Don't download it via the About Gadgets link. That downloads using an inbuilt version of Internet Explorer that doesn't understand vgadget files and downloads them as zip files instead.

You can rename the zip file to be vgadget and follow the instructions I posted previously or go directly to the v9 gadgets website using a modern browser as normal and download from there - https://gadgets.vectric.com/V9/library.html

There are two versions of VCarve. Desktop and Pro. Only the Pro version can run Gadgets. I was checking which version you had as it would pointless downloading gadgets for the Desktop version as you couldn't install them.

raye321

Post by raye321 »

I do have v carve pro 9.5 so it should work but I' still not having any luck. I still dont know why it won't download. Okay, I tried using google chrome browser, Clicked on the website you listed, clicked on chamfer, ,download gaget. Won't let me download. I went to internet explorer, clicked on download gaget, window came up with - open, save, save as. I clicked on save as and saved it in documents. Checked on documents and it was there. opened v carve pro 9.5. opened gagets, install new gaget, clicked on documents- file is not there. Why isnt the file there but it is in documents?

raye321

Post by raye321 »

I attached two photos of what I'm seeing. I click on chamfers on top of the page it comes up with the page with the page chamfer toolpath creator but It's not in the v carve software in gagets
Attachments
1225201840.jpg
1225201835.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

What message are you seeing when you try to download with Chrome? I've tried it on a few different setups and it's working fine for me so it doesn't look like an issue with the website.

There is an issue with Internet Explorer in that it downloads the .vgadget files as .zip files instead. It looks like you have "Hide known file extensions" turned on in Windows so you can't see that the file end in .zip. You need to rename the file so that it ends in .vgadget rather than .zip.

By the looks of it you're creating folders and moving the file into those folders. That won't do anything. A .zip file might look like a folder when you double click it but it isn't, it's a file.

If you can download the file with something other than Internet Explorer then you will avoid a lot of hassle renaming files etc as it will just work.

raye321

Post by raye321 »

When I tried it in chrome and clicked on "download gaget" nothing was happening. It wouldn't download. After I read your reply, I tried it in chrome again so I could tell you what message I was getting. Again, nothing would come up. I right clicked on the mouse and clicked on "open link in new window" message came up "download now in gagets"
It worked!! Thanks so much.

raye321

Post by raye321 »

Can a v bit be used to chamfer?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

raye321 wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:32 pm
Can a v bit be used to chamfer?
Not with that gadget. It's designed to create chamfers when you don't have a tool that matches the correct angle so it works with endmill and ballnoses.

With V10 there is a special chamfer toolpath that works like the gadget and allows for the use of v-bits as well.

Prior to v10 you would need to use a profile toolpath and calculate the correct offset to to get the chamfer you need.

raye321

Post by raye321 »

Okay, thanks for the info. I have a project I'm doing using a 30 degree v bit but I need to cut a rectangle all the way through the work piece and want to chamfer it so I didnt want to have to change bits. I was able to download 9.5 version but not 10. I would have to purchase that version?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Yes, full versions (8,9,10 etc) are purchased upgrades unless you've bought the product within the year before release.

You might be able to do it with the v-carve toolpath. I'm guessing the bit isn't long enough for you to be able to do do it purely with a profile toolpath?

raye321

Post by raye321 »

what I want to do is cut a rectangle out, all the way through a 1/2" piece and put a chamfer around the edge. Would I first need to cut the rectangle out then cut the chamfer? Can I do that in the same project. I though of using an 1/8" endmill to cut the rectangle out then have to do a bit change using an 1/8" ball nose. I think I could use the 1/8" endmill and not have to change bits but it would come out stepped?
If that would work, what tool paths used for the endmill, quick engrave work? What toolpath is used for chamfering?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

If you want to use an endmill all the way through then you would use the gadget to create the chamfer and a profile toolpath to cut the actual part out of the material. I don't use the gadget myself so I don't know how smooth the output is. I would guess that you would need to use a ballnose to get the smoothest chamfer

Using an endmill and a v-bit you would create a profile toolpath for the chamfer setting the toolpath depth to be whatever works to get the chamfer effect you want and then another profile toolpath to cut the part out.

A lot depends on how deep you want the chamfer to be. The 3D preview is your friend in these circumstances. Play around with different things and you can see what it will come out like in the toolpath preview.