Box creator gadget error messages

This section is for general discussion about Gadgets
Revdjembo
Model of CNC Machine: Ozznest OX

Box creator gadget error messages

Post by Revdjembo »

Hi,

I'm trying to create a box using the box creator gadget on Vcarve pro 10.5 latest update.

I've specified a workspace that is oversize for the box I want to make. When I press OK after filling the dimensions form I get an error message saying "couldn't arrange quick enough" When I click OK the gadget will only produce the sides and the ends but not the top or bottom despite those parts being requested.

is it me or is there an issue with the gadget? has anyone experienced this before?

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Re: Box creator gadget error messages

Post by sharkcutup »

I have never really found any instructions with this Gadget!

I have found though through trail/error that if you make your workspace 96.0" x 48.0" (Sheet of material board) and the xy Datum Position to lower left corner the gadget functions well.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Revdjembo

Post by Revdjembo »

After a lot of experimentation, I've discovered that the workspace needs to be considerably larger than the projected box dimensions. My machine is 1000x750 so trying to make a box 600x100x100 doesn't work. If the dimensions are reduced to 500x100x100 it does. Sadly that means that the contents of the box won't fit in! Hey Ho.

Hope this helps someone else.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Scratch the work space size I noted in previous post. Just make the workspace of sufficient size to cover your parts. The Key is the XY Datum Location. I have been using Lower Left Corner.

Planning, making use of layers, setting the XY Datum Position are key in creating a successful box if you do not have the capability of a large CNC Machine (say 48"(X) x 96"(Y) size).
Screenshot 2020-12-17 104125.png
I have a machine with the capability of cutting 24"(X) x 48"(Y) sheets so I have found that making a box requires sufficient planning.

I split the box up creating Side and Lid together, then Ends and Bottom together to create the full box by making use of layers and grouping the toolpaths after they are created by the Box Creator Gadget.
Screenshot 2020-12-17 104219.png
Important Note: After creating the first set the layer named "BOX" will need to be changed or else when creating another set from the gadget this layer gets copied over with the new vectors.

It can be rather complicated at first but once you get to doing several boxes of various sizes it gets easier.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Revdjembo

Post by Revdjembo »

Thanks for this Sharkcutup. I shall have to go away and think this through further. I'll take your suggestions on board and work with them.

many thanks.