Box gadget taBS

This section is for general discussion about Gadgets
Sliverfoot
Model of CNC Machine: CNCRP 4896

Box gadget taBS

Post by Sliverfoot »

I used the box gadget to create a box using tabs (not dovetails)
Previewing the tool paths I noted that it does not cut through all the way around the piece but I thought this must just be tabs. When I ran my box using a compression bit the "tabs" are almost an 1/8 thick and quite long. Is this normal? The way it is now it's going to require a considerable amount of trimming. I've left it on the table and if I knew what to change I would try to run it again with corrected settings but I don't see anything to change.
Only those who risk going too far
Can possibly find out how far one can go.

Sliverfoot
Model of CNC Machine: CNCRP 4896

Re: Box gadget taBS

Post by Sliverfoot »

Never mind I found it.
I didn't catch it that the box gadget automatically puts these large tabs in and I needed to change edit tabs on my cutout toolpath.
Not sure why it put in such large and thick tabs.
Only those who risk going too far
Can possibly find out how far one can go.

Mark Jones
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD 5

Re: Box gadget taBS

Post by Mark Jones »

Its a handy tool and if you secure the box parts you won't need the tabs. I use a pin nailer that shoots half inch 18 gauge pin nails then pop the piece up with a screw driver. I was securing the outsides but on every now and then it would shift and the bit would trim off some of the box joint ends. Found shooting 4 pin nails into a 1/4" thick piece of 25x25 plywood was enough to hold it fine.

I have made 20 some different size boxes ranging from 1.5" wide to 22 inches wide. All with 1/4" plywood. I have some 3/8 maple and walnut I want to make some small boxes with. I am wondering if my .006 allowance will the box creator gadget will be enough for thicker material.
Mark Jones