Box gadget taBS

This section is for general discussion about Gadgets
Sliverfoot
Model of CNC Machine: CNCRP 4896

Box gadget taBS

Post by Sliverfoot »

I used the box gadget to create a box using tabs (not dovetails)
Previewing the tool paths I noted that it does not cut through all the way around the piece but I thought this must just be tabs. When I ran my box using a compression bit the "tabs" are almost an 1/8 thick and quite long. Is this normal? The way it is now it's going to require a considerable amount of trimming. I've left it on the table and if I knew what to change I would try to run it again with corrected settings but I don't see anything to change.

Sliverfoot
Model of CNC Machine: CNCRP 4896

Re: Box gadget taBS

Post by Sliverfoot »

Never mind I found it.
I didn't catch it that the box gadget automatically puts these large tabs in and I needed to change edit tabs on my cutout toolpath.
Not sure why it put in such large and thick tabs.

Mark Jones
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD 5

Re: Box gadget taBS

Post by Mark Jones »

Its a handy tool and if you secure the box parts you won't need the tabs. I use a pin nailer that shoots half inch 18 gauge pin nails then pop the piece up with a screw driver. I was securing the outsides but on every now and then it would shift and the bit would trim off some of the box joint ends. Found shooting 4 pin nails into a 1/4" thick piece of 25x25 plywood was enough to hold it fine.

I have made 20 some different size boxes ranging from 1.5" wide to 22 inches wide. All with 1/4" plywood. I have some 3/8 maple and walnut I want to make some small boxes with. I am wondering if my .006 allowance will the box creator gadget will be enough for thicker material.