Chamfer Gadget

This section is for general discussion about Gadgets
brrian
Model of CNC Machine: OpenBuilds WorkBee 1515

Chamfer Gadget

Post by brrian »

I'm playing with the Chamfer gadget & trying to create a .250" deep, 45 degree chamfer on .500" thick aluminum. I'm using a 3/16" flat end mill with a .025" pass depth. The chamfer gadget is cutting the chamfer in 5 passes. At .250" total depth, that's .050" per pass, which is too deep a pass.What's controlling the number of passes the gadget is taking? It doesn't seem to be the tool's pass depth.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Chamfer Gadget

Post by highpockets »

The default Pass Depth is in the Tool Database.
You can override the default by selecting the Edit button, this will only modify the tool setting for the current Toolpath.
Or select the Edit passes button to control the Pass Depth.
Attachments
Image 892.png
Image 893.png
John
Maker of Chips

brrian
Model of CNC Machine: OpenBuilds WorkBee 1515

Post by brrian »

I don't think it's using the default pass depth from the tool database. The tool I'm using has a .025" default pass depth, and I'm cutting a .250" deep chamfer. So it should cut in 10 passes, but it's only cutting in 5 passes, which would be .050" passes

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

What version of Aspire / VCarve are you using?

What version of the chamfer gadget are you using?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

brrian wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:19 am
I don't think it's using the default pass depth from the tool database. The tool I'm using has a .025" default pass depth, and I'm cutting a .250" deep chamfer. So it should cut in 10 passes, but it's only cutting in 5 passes, which would be .050" passes
The chamfer gadget pass depth can be confusing as the angle of the chamfer is a factor in the pass depth.

Version 10.5 of Cut2D/VCarve/Aspire due for release soon has a built-in chamfer toolpath.