Nubs lefft using Dovetail Gadget

This section is for general discussion about Gadgets
SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Nubs lefft using Dovetail Gadget

Post by SteveNelson46 »

These pins were cut using the dovetail gadget and they seem to leave a small nub on the profile cutout. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal?
Attachments
Dovetail Gadget.jpg
Drawers-CNC.crv3d
(281 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
Steve

BillK
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro Plus

Re: Nubs lefft using Dovetail Gadget

Post by BillK »

Nubs are not normal and neither are radii in the corners. Switch to the right size end mill instead of a ball mill and you’ll see vast improvements.
BillK
https://www.facebook.com/CarvingsByKurtz

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

BillK wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:42 pm
Nubs are not normal and neither are radii in the corners. Switch to the right size end mill instead of a ball mill and you’ll see vast improvements.
These are flat dovetails. It's impossible not to get radii in the corners. You're thinking of the dovetails made with the board on end. The toolpath has been made with an endmill.

BillK
Vectric Wizard

Post by BillK »

Adrian wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:56 pm
[quote=BillK post_id=253599 time=<a href="tel:1589568126">1589568126</a> user_id=12502]
These are flat dovetails. It's impossible not to get radii in the corners. You're thinking of the dovetails made with the board on end. The toolpath has been made with an endmill.
[/quote]

So sorry Adrian, I thought he was trying the new dovetail gadget that cuts them properly from the end of the board. How you were able to discern he wasn’t using that is was makes you an Archimage I guess. Not sure something with nubs and radii deserves to be called a dovetail joint though. Maybe it should be renamed a nub and radii joint?
BillK

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard

Post by SteveNelson46 »

BillK wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:12 pm
Adrian wrote:
[quote=BillK post_id=253599 time=<a href="tel:1589568126">1589568126</a> user_id=12502]
So sorry Adrian, I thought he was trying the new dovetail gadget that cuts them properly from the end of the board. How you were able to discern he wasn’t using that is was makes you an Archimage I guess. Not sure something with nubs and radii deserves to be called a dovetail joint though. Maybe it should be renamed a nub and radii joint?
[/quote]

If you look at the file that I posted you will see how it was done.
Steve

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Adrian wrote:
BillK wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:42 pm
Adrain,

Some use a dogbone filet to eliminate the rounded inside corners. After 45+ years of woodworking I think my skills are good enough to just use a hand chisel.
Last edited by SteveNelson46 on Fri May 15, 2020 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The nub part should be there from what I remember of making those joints when the gadget first came out. It gives the same effect as a dogbone in the corner so the joint can fit together without the square edge of the other half of the joint catching on the rounded part.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Adrian wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:21 pm
The nub part should be there from what I remember of making those joints when the gadget first came out. It gives the same effect as a dogbone in the corner so the joint can fit together without the square edge of the other half of the joint catching on the rounded part.
Thanks Adrian. This was just an experiment. I'll probably just use my Leigh D4R Pro dovetail jig. I think it will make a better joint.
Steve

BillK
Vectric Wizard

Post by BillK »

Yeah Steve couldn’t open that file because I haven’t ponied up the $400 yet. But I know those joints are strictly utilitarian, not really dovetail joints. The new gadget that Jim is working on will cut them on the end of the board and will look a lot better then the nub and radii ones. Or if you can’t cut a board vertically I also have a very nice dovetail saw, fret saw, and very sharp chisels. I actually enjoy cutting them by hand for the few boxes I make.
BillK