Gear Gadget fails to install

This section is for general discussion about Gadgets
Robbowatson
Model of CNC Machine: KEW1212

Gear Gadget fails to install

Post by Robbowatson »

VCP 9.5.

Gear gadget new downloaded

Fails to install from either within the program or stand-alone...

Every other gadget installs fine....

Is it Me or the gadget file ?

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Gear Gadget fails to install

Post by adze_cnc »

If you used the file at: https://gadgets.vectric.com/gear_maker.html then it appears to be version 8 and below (see attached image for the contents of the "Gear_Maker_Gadget_Install.exe" file).

Steven
GearMaker gadget contents
GearMaker gadget contents

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

I simply manually copied the Gear_Maker files into the C:\Users\Public\Documents\Vectric Files\Gadgets\Aspire V10.0 folder (as well as corresponding Aspire V9 and VCarve V9 and V10 folders). The gadget works fine in both V9 and V10 Aspire and VCarve Pro.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

When you go to the gadgets site - https://gadgets.vectric.com - be sure you are clicking on the correct links. The default Gadget Library link on that page is for V10 only. Look at the highlighted section on the page where it says "The Gadgets & Developer information available on this site are applicable to Aspire / VCarve Pro / Cut2D Pro V10. You can find gadget for (V4 - V8.5) here and for V9 here." If you have v9.5 you will need to click on the "here" link next to where it says v9 to get the correct gadget for your version.

Some gadgets (like this one) will work in v9 and v10 without problems but some are v9 and v10 only so it's always best to download the correct version to avoid any issues.

There are also issues with downloading V10 gadgets with older versions of Internet Explorer. It treats the files as zip files rather than vgadget files so the automatic installer won't recognise them. Best to use an up to date browser if that is the case.

Robbowatson
Model of CNC Machine: KEW1212

Re: Gear Gadget fails to install. SOLVED

Post by Robbowatson »

I tried all versions of the gear maker gadget, and every one failed.
So....deleted all thge downloaded files.
Followed the instructions from Adrian from the replies to my query and the gadget installed fine.
Not sure if when I downloaded each type to try I had missed something when launching the correct version.
It all works fine now so I can now make the mating gears for a simple childrens activity centre for a special display, and for Autistic children to enjoy

zeighty
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL

Post by zeighty »

Adrian wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:52 am

There are also issues with downloading V10 gadgets with older versions of Internet Explorer. It treats the files as zip files rather than vgadget files so the automatic installer won't recognise them. Best to use an up to date browser if that is the case.
Thank you so much for the info above... I was going bonkers trying to figure out where in the world vgadget files were.