Tapered Inlay (Paul Zank method) Plug with Rough Clearing: discussion

This section is for general discussion about Gadgets
adze_cnc
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Tapered Inlay (Paul Zank method) Plug with Rough Clearing: discussion

Post by adze_cnc »

This thread is for discussion (bug reports, feature requests, praise, etc.) for the "Tapered Inlay Plug with Rough Clearing" gadget found here: viewtopic.php?p=282243

I'd like to keep discussion here so that the gadget thread always has, as the last post, the most recent version of the gadget.

Some additional features I see needed for the gadget:
  • inlay material thickness in a different unit of measure than the job (e.g. 5mm inlay thickness in a 0.375 inch thick job)
  • better help
  • v-bit only toolpath creation: currently you must select a square-end clearance tool
  • layer selection rather than manually pre-selecting the vectors (layers are your friend)
    • with layer selection in place a full tapered inlay (base and plug) toolpath creation gadget becomes possible
  • additional options for the square-end cutter: e.g. selecting "climb cut" rather than the hard-coded "conventional cut". Also "offset" or "raster" clearing (setting the clearance pass to "first", last", or "none" on raster)
—Steven

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

Re: Tapered Inlay (Paul Zank method) Plug with Rough Clearing: discussion

Post by jimandi5000 »

Hi Steven,
I have completed a very deep dive on the Zank toolpath method for making the plug toolpaths. I have found that it does not work as well as you may think.
Issues I found starts with the first toolpath start depth not being at 0. As per the video, the first pass is 3.5mm deep with 1mm bottom.
Each toolpath is calculated individually. Therefore, the clearing calculations don't stair step the waste material away from the upper portion of the toolpath.
This effects the v- bit side loading as deeper cuts.

Thoughs?
Thanks,
Jim

adze_cnc
Vectric Apprentice

Post by adze_cnc »

jimandi5000 wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:41 am
As per the video, the first pass is 3.5mm deep with 1mm bottom.
Video?

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

Post by jimandi5000 »

adze_cnc wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:29 am
jimandi5000 wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:41 am
As per the video, the first pass is 3.5mm deep with 1mm bottom.
Video?
Here you go....

This is what I used to build the Eazy Zank Gadget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY0zLv3wcyc
Thanks,
Jim

adze_cnc
Vectric Apprentice

Post by adze_cnc »

Thanks. I had seen that video (viewtopic.php?p=264755#p264755). I came up with the same method that Stefan details before I saw the video. It works. The important part is that the "roughing" toolpath(s) must stop before the final toolpath's start depth (his start depth of 7mm and flat depth of 2mm). I detail that further in: viewtopic.php?p=282314#p282314

The important point is that we are preventing a square-end bit and a v-bit from plunging way deeper than the machine can handle by removing above what VCarve/Aspire thinks is not there. Also, that what we are doing can't be any worse than only creating the one toolpath.