Dove Tails wrong side of line

This forum lists all Gadgets that are available now
BretC
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Router Parts

Dove Tails wrong side of line

Post by BretC »

Group - what causes dovetails and pins to be on the wrong side of the line?

Thanks

Bret C
Neodesha, KS
Attachments
Screenshot (2).png

CrowsWW
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre 4896

Re: Dove Tails wrong side of line

Post by CrowsWW »

Bret C,
You need to change the start points of the lines. That is how I fixed them.
Troy Crow
Crow's Woodwork's
I have a day job to support my wood habit!

BretC
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Router Parts

Post by BretC »

CrowsWW:

Thank you for the tip. I am sure this is somewhere in the documentation, but I missed it.

With your tip in mind, I experimented with changing the starting points in the node editing mode. I found that the green arrows designating the starting and ending points must be all pointing the same direction as to encircle the part.

There must have been something peculiar in the way in which I broke up the rectangles into separate lines (cutting the vectors) that caused this problem. I suspect that I did not cut the vectors in a logical order which caused a miss mash of start and endpoints, thus causing some dovetails to be IN and others to be OUT.

Thanks for your help.
Bret C

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

If you are using the dovetail creator gadget there is a statement there that refers to this
If you haven't done so already you should make sure you have created markers for where you wish the dovetails to be. This can be achieved using the dovetail detection gadget. The dovetails will always be created on the left hand side of the markers, so it may be necessary to reverse the direction of some markers.
This particular gadget is relatively easy to use once you understand it.

This is a preview image of what the edges of a .75 thick panel sides would look like.
Dovetail Creator.png
A word of caution be sure to set your plunge rate low especially on such short distances such as the angle cuts that are being made here pictured in bottom side.

Sharkcutup
Last edited by sharkcutup on Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

thumbnail.jpg
I have also come to realize that this particular Dovetail Creator requires a bit of cleanup before you can actually fit the parts together.
But once done they fit up pretty well. I allowed a .020 allowance for glue up. Above is a test I performed using this particular 'DOVETAIL CREATOR' gadget.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

The Barber Shop
Model of CNC Machine: I2R8

Post by The Barber Shop »

I just finished creating a 20x10x10 box toolpath using the dovetail creator. I too had the issue of the pins showing up outside the lines as well as the dovetails. My first attempt at a solution was to redraw the bad lines and apply the creator. that worked. I also found a much quicker solution. I used the Mirror tool. Finally, I created the angled tool paths and two of my tool paths appeared outside the line. This required me to remove the tool paths and redraw the lines counter-clockwise and all went well. Just sharing my work through, Only after each successful step did I save so I could always reload a good instance of my file. Hope it helps someone

BillK
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro Plus

Post by BillK »

sharkcutup wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:21 am
thumbnail.jpg
I have also come to realize that this particular Dovetail Creator requires a bit of cleanup before you can actually fit the parts together.
But once done they fit up pretty well. I allowed a .020 allowance for glue up. Above is a test I performed using this particular 'DOVETAIL CREATOR' gadget.

Sharkcutup
Too gappy for me. The joint should be tapped together and be tight. I usually go with 0.007 or .008” clearance max. Also, run the tails twice, especially in hardwood. That cleans them out nicely. Sorry for being fussy about it, but off a CNC they should be clean and not need to be filled with glue and sawdust. Again, apologies, did not mean to offend.
BillK
https://www.facebook.com/CarvingsByKurtz

BillK
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro Plus

Post by BillK »

8) :cry:
BillK
https://www.facebook.com/CarvingsByKurtz

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Dovetails created flat on the table with a normal endmill are always going to be a compromise. If you want dovetails that are going to match hand made ones then you have to use the alternative 3rd party gadgets that work with the stock being held vertically at the end of the machine and use proper dovetail bits.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

BillK wrote:
Too gappy for me. The joint should be tapped together and be tight. I usually go with 0.007 or .008” clearance max. Also, run the tails twice, especially in hardwood. That cleans them out nicely. Sorry for being fussy about it, but off a CNC they should be clean and not need to be filled with glue and sawdust. Again, apologies, did not mean to offend.
I was just stating that the Gadget "Dovetail Creator" is not a very good tool. Sure it can get you to where you want to be with the time and many adjustments. I also agree with Adrian's post that it is best to use gadgets which are designed for end of table end of board work that will create dovetails

It is okay I understand how some true wood craftsman feel! I had a Father who was one and he would get onto me just as you have - No Problem I know where you are coming from! :)

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554