Project of the Month - Weathervane Country Clock

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Project of the Month - Weathervane Country Clock

Post by TReischl »

Let's see, someone is gonna give me something for free. . . .

Oh, wait, I have not upgraded! That is not FAIR!!!!

sheeeesh. . . . .
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Samson
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4x4

Post by Samson »

Adrian wrote:A current version can open any version of a file created with a older version but an older version can't read a file created with a newer version. That's true of many software packages not just Vectric.

CRV files (of the correct versions) can be read by Cut2D and VCarve but any 3D data/VCarve only toolpaths will be ignored by Cut2D. Only Aspire can read CRV3D files.
All of the other software I own, the files can be saved to an earlier release. There's no reason it can't be done. A simple .stl file would probably work.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Samson wrote:
Adrian wrote:A current version can open any version of a file created with a older version but an older version can't read a file created with a newer version. That's true of many software packages not just Vectric.

CRV files (of the correct versions) can be read by Cut2D and VCarve but any 3D data/VCarve only toolpaths will be ignored by Cut2D. Only Aspire can read CRV3D files.
All of the other software I own, the files can be saved to an earlier release. There's no reason it can't be done. A simple .stl file would probably work.
Maybe, maybe not. I have two programs that will "save to an earlier version" and when that is selected they both start telling me how features included in the running version will not be saved to the earlier version.

You also made a good point about saving in a different format. I think the issue with Vectric products is that they are saving toolpaths which are not all that generic. EPS, STL etc are available, but when it comes to a "monthly" project a lot of the folks want the toolpaths. Otherwise all that would need to be done is save the geometry as a neutral format like EPS.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Samson wrote:

Aspire can export as STL and both versions can export vectors in a multitude of formats. However the license for the free projects expressly forbids them from being converted into formats usable by non-Vectric software.

The problem with having saves to earlier versions is that it has to miss out on new features that the old software knows nothing about so if the designer of the project has used those features (and why wouldn't they as the whole idea of the free projects is to showcase the software to potential buyers) then you're back to square one with a project that can't be loaded.