axyz Toolpath

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
pacificbond

axyz Toolpath

Post by pacificbond »

I acquired a secondhand AXYZ Millenium a couple of years ago in anticipation of my retirement and the need to do something interesting (I was a boring accountant in my previous life!!).
I've updated the Toolpath to version 2.803.
I have VCarve Pro 4.6.
My first serious attempt to carve a simple sign is a disaster.
The design is the number 18 set in a circle on material 5" x 5" x 0.75"
Everything looks fine in VCarve. I save the file as an AXYZ nc file. I must admit that each crv file is over 1 mb which I perceive as rather big for a small job! (Am I using the wrong tool - 60 degree 1/4" V-bit)?
I open Toolpath and import it.
I run then analysis and click on the error tabs to correct them. I then output the job, save it, send it to the machine (this takes ages), set the surface z-axis and run the program.
After about half an hour it has done the first character but not even to the .25 depth inches I set.
Please - I'm obviously doing it wrong - but how, where??
Hope someone can be kind to this rookie!
Roger
PS reference file sizes, I've just done a cutting sheet for a dolls house (aren't granddads wonderful!) and the crv files for each sheet of material are only around 200kb each.

Woodbutcher-59
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt 3'x5'x6"

Re: axyz Toolpath

Post by Woodbutcher-59 »

Hi Roger

I'm gonna guess the PASS DEPTH for your bit is set really small....Is it cutting your design in small Z increments ??

If so, you need to edit the parameters for that bit...double click on the toolpath to open for editing....click on edit
next to the bit selection....set pass depth and then calculate the toolpath again.

Hope this helps

Jeff
Aspire 12
Mach 3

" I'm tryin to think but nothin happens " - Curly Howard

pacificbond

Post by pacificbond »

Thanks Jeff - I'll give it a try.
Will let you know.
regards
Roger

pacificbond

Post by pacificbond »

Hi Jeff
Well that sped things up!
However I may just have over cooked it as the engraving was raggie.
I went from .0001" to .005" as the pass depth so I'll try something in between next time.
I may also have pushed the V-bit too far into the collet so that it couldn't actually descend 1/4" into the material to achieve a 1/4" depth of cut.
I've obviously got a lot to learn - don't suppose you could recommend a good book?
Regards
Roger
PS The dolls house has cut out of the material with no problems so I've probably got that right!

Woodbutcher-59
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt 3'x5'x6"

Post by Woodbutcher-59 »

Hey Roger,

Glad that worked some...but .005 still seems like a light cut to me.
I might try a different bit... 60 degree 1/2"d or similar 90 degree bit...

Don't know your machine, but I V-carve at depths of 1/4" and more in one pass....
And let me add that if you are using a V-carve toolpath, the CUT DEPTH is determined by the distance
between the vectors...wider = deeper, but it will still respect the PASS DEPTH setting and cut in steps if needed.

Other types of toolpaths (profile for example) require you to set the CUT DEPTH you want.

You will find when V-Carving that the larger your Design/Text is, the larger (diameter) bit you will need to get the wide spots.

Can't help ya with the book...never found one myself. This forum is a great place for info and help...
No better way to learn than doing...and you're on the way !!!

Jeff
Aspire 12
Mach 3

" I'm tryin to think but nothin happens " - Curly Howard