2018 Multicam Apex3R PP

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
RostRM
Model of CNC Machine: 2018 MultiCam Apex3R

2018 Multicam Apex3R PP

Post by RostRM »

I have been working on my post processor off and on for a few months now for my 2018 MultiCam Apex3R Router. While I have it in a usable condition I was wondering if someone that is far more familiar with writing these would be willing to decipher and write one. I can provide a list of used M and G codes of the controller as well as the PP formatting document that came with the software from the factory. I'm not understanding how to correlate some of the information I am reading, nor do I know how to utilize it. Being that new of a machine hopefully your work would be helpful to others as well. Thank you for considering.

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Re: 2018 Multicam Apex3R PP

Post by wb9tpg »

I’ll bite, what don’t you like about your existing post processor. It seems you admit it’s working for you.
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

RostRM

Post by RostRM »

Thank you for your response. I have it working in the very basic sense, I havent been able to get the Arc's to work correctly they actually wind up inverted if they show up at all. I also dont know how to get it to calculate for the different tool lengths causing it to cut either deeper or shallower than intended after a tool change. Some of the formatting I think is different based on a .cnc file that I have recieved compiled through a Coreo PP.

RostRM

Post by RostRM »

I have attached my current PP as well as the formatting document that came with the machine. also there is a pdf here that shows the recognized M and G codes. I appreciate any advice you can offer.
Attachments
M and G Codes.pdf
(30.68 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
MultiCam Apex3R RRM Arc(inch).pp
(4.66 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
Multicam PP format.txt
(13.77 KiB) Downloaded 28 times

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

wb9tpg wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:49 pm
I’ll bite, what don’t you like about your existing post processor. It seems you admit it’s working for you.
I'm kind of in agreement with this. There is not much difference between the above posted PP and the stock Vectric Multicam processors.

A couple of questions:
  • why wrap the plunge moves with M12 & M2? Original PPs only use these at tool changes.
  • why use absolute co-ordinates for arcs G02 and G03? Original PPs use incremental.
  • does the Multicam concept of rotation for absolute match Vectric's? That is if the gcode says rotate -90 degrees does one turn left while the other turn right?

RostRM

Post by RostRM »

Most of that I am still up in the air about, the sample is what is output from the Coreo software that comes with the machine (I don't have license) that was given to me by the previous owner. I was trying to get my output to look similar to that. As far as the arcs go, I can only find absolute mode referenced in the PP file that came with the machine so I'm not sure if it will work with incremental or not. If I'm reading it right (and its very possible that I may not be) The header would have to be changed by removing the G75+G90 for absolute mode and adding G74+G91 for incremental?! Fortunately I haven't ran into a situation that I have needed arcs yet. I figured someone with more experience might be able to steer me away from the iceberg. :)

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Why use the PP that came with the machine and not the one supplied with the Vectric software? As others have said I don't see anything wrong with the standard PP. What is the issue you're trying to fix that the standard, current pp doesn't? Perhaps that might be an easier way of getting help.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

When I compared the PP you are working on to the stock on in VCarve it was with VCarve 9.519. But, looking at things in the trial version of the latest version of the software I see that the stock PP is even more like yours.

01-multicam.png

The one thing I'd be tempted to edit is removing the go to X, Y, and Z home in the header and tool change areas as I'm not a big fan of that:

02-view.png

RostRM

Post by RostRM »

I don't think Vectric will work with the PP that came with the machine, it is formatted differently unless there is a trick I'm not aware of. It would be nice because it looks like it would take different tool length into account. I like the idea of removing XH, YH and ZH, I could replace the ZH with SafeZ and be good to go on that front I think. There are several issues I've had with XH and YH...Ill try it. I did switch the Arcs to Incremental and replace G75 with G74, the small arc pieces that I have seemed to be better. I need to figure out how to implement a pause, the machine says it uses M00 I could try putting it in the file manually I suppose. Thanks for your input gentlemen!
I updated my PP list and I see they are working on one!! NICE!! thanks for tipping me off adze_cnc

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

There is nothing in the Vectric software to take tool lengths into account. That is handled by the setup in the control software. The most you will get from a post processor is a tool number being passed to a control software macro that looks up the tool length in the control software database.

XH, YH and ZH are the values on the Material Setup button on the Toolpaths Tab for Home/Start Position and can be changed to whatever you want. I removed the move to home at the start and end in my post processor because I didn't want it to go there but if you're having issues with the actual values it's not the post processor you need to change.