Which post-processor?

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
JTA_AUSTEX
Model of CNC Machine: Shark 510

Which post-processor?

Post by JTA_AUSTEX »

I have a Shark 510. The default install places two post-processors in the drop-down: NextWaveCNC(inch) and NextWaveCNC(mm). I am not clear when to select which tool. Is it based on the dimensions used in my project? The dimensions used to define my bit? The degree of detail in a model? I have not noticed much difference before (I generally define everything using imperial measurements and use the inch post-processor) but I have never cut the same project with both files for comparison.
Sorry for the simplistic question, but it has always confused me why I need both, as either seems to work no matter what I throw at it. Thanks.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Which post-processor?

Post by adze_cnc »

The difference is only in what units your Shark in operating in. Vectric programs deal with converting mm to inch etc when saving the toolpaths.

For example my machine is set to run in inches so I use the AXYZ (inches) processor. A recent project in VCarve was in mm using bits that were a mix of mm and inches. When I saved the job all was converted automatically to inches (as it should be).

JTA_AUSTEX
Model of CNC Machine: Shark 510

Re: Which post-processor?

Post by JTA_AUSTEX »

Thanks. If I understand you correctly, as long as I'm generating my job from VCarve, it doesn't matter. If I tried some other software, it might. I appreciate your help because I was getting nowhere on the web.