Change bit speed

This forum is for requests and queries about machine tool support for Vectric Products
FLWC
Model of CNC Machine: DB CNC 4X8

Change bit speed

Post by FLWC »

I use a non ATC machine. I build cabinets. I use a 1/4" compression to do 90% of my machining. My adjustable shelf pin holes are 1/4" to coincide with the 1/4" compression. Is it possible to have the post identify when a drilling operation is taking place and to slow bit rpm to 8000rpm and when cutting resumes increase back to the 18500 rpm normally used?

At 18500rpm it is burning while drilling. At 8000 (currently manually overridden in Mach while running) it is cleaner.

FLWC
Model of CNC Machine: DB CNC 4X8

Re: Change bit speed

Post by FLWC »

Also, I used to program CMM machines and I could enter a comment to prompt the operator to validate conditions have been met before proceeding. I would like to add screen prompts to ask if the vacuum is on, are the apppropriate valves closed/open, etc.

Is that a thing in CNC posts?

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Change bit speed

Post by adze_cnc »

RPM speeds are set by editing the tool in each toolpath. When multiple toolpaths using the same tool but with different speeds are saved as one file the post-processor should write those speed changes in (mine does).

But, some post-processors don’t have that necessary code to change speeds. See this thread for an example (in this case the GRBL mm one). See my answer for what to do to alter your post-processor if it is not working properly.

That answer is specfic to the GRBL processor. Yours might need a differently formatted line. You should be able to find that in the TOOLCHANGE section of the post-processor.